Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

SSID and multiple VLAN assignment

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  SSID and multiple VLAN assignment

Posted Jun 21, 2020 09:31 PM

Good day.  I am unclear how a requested solution would behave using one SSID and multiple user VLANs.  Was hoping someone would be able to provide some insight.  We have four warehouses and all clients are currently required to use static IP addressing.  It is being asked that each warehouse have a separate VLAN for their wireless clients and all four warehouses use the same SSID.  The wireless clients should be able to roam all four warehouses and seamlessly connect to the WLAN.  If I create a SSID and add four VLANs, one for each warehouse, would there be any wireless client connectivity/communication issues while traversing the warehouses?  Just not too sure how wireless clients that are configured with static IP's would interact with the WLAN in this scenario.  Hopefully we will be allowed to use DHCP in the future, but are unable to at this point in time.  Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: SSID and multiple VLAN assignment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2020 10:02 PM

Unless you would possibly have a mechanism that knows what clients are supposed to be connected to what VLAN, having devices roaming from warehouse to warehouse will not work, unfortunately.  If a client disconnects from the WLAN in one warehouse and then goes to another warehouse, we would need to know what VLAN that client needs to be on.

You could certainly have AP groups where group A is in warehouse A and puts clients in VLAN A and so on...

• 3.  RE: SSID and multiple VLAN assignment

Posted Jun 21, 2020 10:59 PM

Thanks for the reply CJoseph.  So if I understand you correctly, if wireless client A has a static assigned IP address that corresponds with VLAN A, and warehouse A has a SSID with VLAN's A, B, C, and D configured, the WLAN would not be able to associate wireless client A's traffic to VLAN A, is that correct?  If so, the only real solution while keeping all four warehouses in the same AP group would be to configure one VLAN that is suitable in size to accommodate all wireless clients in all four warehouses and assign them to that VLAN?  I know it depends on the type of traffic etc. but, a VLAN that is capable of 500 wireless clients with average wireless traffic is usually not an issue?

• 4.  RE: SSID and multiple VLAN assignment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2020 03:21 AM

Knew_2_wireless,

That might be your best option.  You would also need to enable broadcast filtering on that SSID so that it does not degrade your wireless performance.