Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Secure DHCP communication

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Secure DHCP communication

Posted Nov 10, 2017 10:23 AM

Hi Airheads,

I would like to ask some help here in the following. We have several VLANs for the wifi clients and there are a gateway in the background network in each VLAN (so not the controller the dgw in the VLANs). There are dhcp helpers defined in the default gateway of the VLAN.

We tried to make communication secure that we enable dhcp traffic only the dedicated dhcp helpers insteed of this: any any svc-dhcp permit.

The situation, that as soon as we changed the default DHCP ACL (any any svc-dhcp permit) anything else (any network 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 svc-dhcp permit), the DHCP is stopped working.

What should be the issue here? Is it possible to filter dhcp traffic with ACL on the controller side at all?

Many thanks for the answers.

BR,

Gaben

• 2.  RE: Secure DHCP communication
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2017 12:49 PM

On the face of it, you cannot, because the client request to the DHCP server is a broadcast, not a unicast.  The client is unaware of the DHCP server that would be servicing its request.

What are you trying to prevent?  There is an ACL that prevents clients from being dhcp servers:

user any  udp 68  deny 

• 3.  RE: Secure DHCP communication

Posted Nov 13, 2017 03:52 AM

Dear cjoseph,

thanks for the answer this was my thought too.

I know the dhcp permit and deny ACLs. What we tried to do that enable dhcp only from some dedicated dhcp szervers not any. So something like this:

any host 10.1.0.254 svc-dhcp permit

any any svc-dhcp deny

So the client can communicate with the 10.1.0.254 for dhcp but nothing else.

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Gabor