Wireless Access

MVP Expert

Re: Setting up an IAP cluster

Hi Julian,

If i understand correctly , IAP's need to be configured with static IP's belonging to vlan 800.

However, vlan 800 will be tagged on the uplink port (switch side).

If my understnading is correct, you can try the following:

1. Connect the IAP's to the switch.

2. Initially IAP can not tag any packets as uplink management vlan is set to 0 by default.

3. So, it will send DHCP DISCOVER packets on native vlan.

"As there is no DHCP service on the network, the IAP obtains an IP automatically within the 169.254 subnet.

4. The instant SSID should be available to connect a client.

Connect a wireless client to instant SSID & navigate to "instant.arubanetworks.com".

We should get the login prompt  for the WebUI. The default credentials are admin/admin.

5. Once you are logged into Web UI, you can assign static IP's to the IAP's & change their uplink management vlan to 800.

We need to reboot the IAP's in order for these changes to take effect.

So, once you have set static IP's/uplink management vlan on all the IAP's, you can reboot them from the Web UI.

Note: if possible, try these steps on 2-3 IAP's initially . If everything works as expected, you can congfiure the remaining IAP's accordingly.

Hi Nitesh,

You are right from step 1 to 3, but for step 4, I was able to connect to the instant SSID but not reach the WebUI (my browser was OK).

When I connect the IAP to a switch port in access mode (OK for the IAP default uplink management VLAN) with DHCP enabled, the IAP got an IP address and I was able to reach the WebUI.

Then my thought was that the IAP needs to have a valid IP address in order to users reach the WebUI.

Regards,

Julián

MVP Expert

Hi Julian,

As per our discussion on another thread, I will test it in lab once.

The 2nd options will be :

1. Configure all ports in access mode initially so that IAP gets an IP & comes up in the cluster.

2. Assign static IP's & change uplink management vlans.

3. Reboot the IAP's.

4. Change the port configuration to trunk .

Hi Nitesh,

I understant your 2nd option, in fact, I did it as you explained, and finally I was able to reach the WebUI, configure the IAP properly and then place the IAP on the trunk again, now well configured and working.

The problem now is I have to install many more IAPs on the network, I cannot do this 2nd option because are many trunk ports and I am not the administrator.

Regards,

Julián

Hi Nitesh,

Please let me know if I am right with the following procedure I plan to do with some IAPs:

1 - Configure by console the IAPs with static IPs and VLAN 800 for uplink.

2 - Connect the IAPs to the trunk ports.

3 - IAPs should see each other and one of them should be the master.

4 - Configure the master IAP with some SSIDs, and these SSIDs should be reflected on the rest of IAPs.

Regards,

Julián

MVP Expert

Hi Julian,

I expect this to work fine.

But my suggestion will be to try this on handful of IAP's initially.

Hi Victor and Nitesh,

I have configured the IAP cluster as I explained in my previous message and your recommendations and it works! Thank you very much for your interest.

Best regards,

Julián

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: