Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Should I disable the g radio if all the VAP's in the group are a only?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Should I disable the g radio if all the VAP's in the group are a only?

Posted Oct 31, 2013 05:27 AM

Hi,

I am looking for an answer to this question:

If there are no VAP's in a group allowing g access yet the radio is enabled, is the AP still affecting the RF environment in 2.4GHz? I have a very dense AP deployment so in many cases I will set the 2.4GHz radio to airmonitor if I am not using any g radio VAP's in the group. I am moving some VAP's to a only and these exist in many groups so do I need to go round and disable the g radio if it is not required to reduce interference?

thanks

Stewart

• 2.  RE: Should I disable the g radio if all the VAP's in the group are a only?

Posted Oct 31, 2013 06:55 AM

You are on the right track , make the VAP just to serve .11a clients 

Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 6.52.21 AM.png

And on the 802.11g radio make an Air Monitor so it can provide more information about the RF environment on the 802.11g band

Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 6.51.31 AM.png

Note: Make sure you test this before you enable this , so you don't end up creating coverage holes in that area

• 3.  RE: Should I disable the g radio if all the VAP's in the group are a only?

Posted Oct 31, 2013 07:45 AM

Thanks Victor, but the question I am asking is if I leave the g radio enabled, am I still affecting the g RF environment even though there are no VAP's associated with the radio? I understand that there will be no beacons as there are no SSID's on g radio but is there anything else to consider?

• 4.  RE: Should I disable the g radio if all the VAP's in the group are a only?

Posted Oct 31, 2013 10:49 AM

That's correct.