Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Show connection attempts/association in logs?

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Show connection attempts/association in logs?

Posted Jul 09, 2020 02:35 PM

I'm currently testing with a PSK SSID. I have debugging turned on for user and security authmgr. Right now in the logs I can see when the user authenticates (selects SSID and enters the password) and connects just fine in the logs. However, I want to see when a user associates to the SSID and is prompted for the pw, but they never enter the password. I'm not seeing any logs for these attempts. Is there a way to see this info?

I'm running Aruba OS 8.6.0.5 with a MM/MD setup.

• 2.  RE: Show connection attempts/association in logs?

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 09, 2020 04:44 PM

Have you used the "show auth-tracebuf mac <mac-address>" on the controller they are connecting to. Run the command on the controller itself and not MM. You should see a timeout.

• 3.  RE: Show connection attempts/association in logs?

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 09, 2020 04:47 PM

Or for logging, setting the authmgr process to a debug level?

• 4.  RE: Show connection attempts/association in logs?

Posted Jul 09, 2020 06:08 PM

I'll try the show auth-tracebuf mac command when I can get a user on site to test.

I did turn on debugging for the authmgr process but I don't see anything until the user inputs a password and authenticates. This also doesn't really help me since once the user disconnects, the logging messages seem to be deleted.

• 5.  RE: Show connection attempts/association in logs?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 10, 2020 05:01 AM

This is realted to the OS of the Client.

He gets the security settings from the beacon and issues an association with the SSID after the PSK is typed in.

You will not see anything on the controller.

At least in my experience and with my tested Client Device.

You will only see this when you are doing 802.1X like EAP-PEAP with username and password. Ahead there is established a channel which receives a timeout if Client does not insert username / password combination.

This you will see in the auth-tracebuffer.