Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Slow speed on some ap 205 within the same ap-group

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Slow speed on some ap 205 within the same ap-group

Posted May 11, 2016 02:03 PM

Hi!

Have just started to work with Aruba and I like it so far.

Although I have an issue with slow speed on some access points that I need help with.

On our main office we have an access point that is within the ap group "Default-APs". If I make a LAN test to a server I reach speed at sending 50Mbit and downloading 20Mbit.

In another building I have an ap within the same ap group, but when I make the LAN test I reach sending 10Mbit and download 2Mbit. 

I get the same speed if I connect with cable on the different locations but why do I get different speed with wireless?

The access points belongs to the same ap group so no configuration difference. 

I use the same computer to run the tests and it gets connected with a-HT.

Both access points are model 205.

It is more interference in the main office building and more users.

No input/output errors on the switch ports.

Shouldn't I get roughly the same speed since the client input and output is in the controller or how does it work?

• 2.  RE: Slow speed on some ap 205 within the same ap-group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2016 02:06 PM

Maybe.

Depending on (1) What channel you are on (2) how many users are on that AP or channel will determine how much bandwidth is available to you.

You can also check out the link here:    to get some ideas about improving your performance.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978

• 3.  RE: Slow speed on some ap 205 within the same ap-group

Posted May 11, 2016 03:10 PM

Thanks for the nice reading cjoseph,

My tests have been done off hours so no other clients in the wireless network. I have also checked for interference but it is the same issue on both 2,4 and 5GHz.

The access points are both connected to Gigabit speed.

I'm "only" broadcasting two SSID.

All of the other settings mentioned in the link are made on ap groups and since the access points belongs to the same group, those settings should not matter.

I can't think of any other explanation that the issue is in the connection between the two buildings. It's strange though that via cable I get the same speed.

Is the tunnel created between the controller and the access point sensitive?

Sensitive for jump between switches, fibre to ethernet?

• 4.  RE: Slow speed on some ap 205 within the same ap-group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2016 03:25 PM

The next time you do your test, you should see if the user was on the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz band.  Even late at night, there are things that could interfere with 2.4ghz band operation, like co-channel interference, that might not allow you to get the bandwidth on the 5ghz.