Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.

Spacing between multiple dual band AP-ANT-19

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Spacing between multiple dual band AP-ANT-19

Posted Sep 30, 2016 05:03 AM

Hi!

I´ve been reading so many different posts on other forums about which spacing to use between single band antennas and dual band antennas and most of them contradicts eachother. I couldn´t seem to find such thread on Airheads so I figured it´s time we straighten this out.

Lets say we buy an AP-214 and 3x AP-ANT-19 as an example. In the hardware installation guides there´s detailed info on how to mount one antenna, but what are the rules to follow when mounting two or three of them for the same AP?

I know that there´s a minimum distance that should be avoided and the antennas are not to placed so far from eachother that they have different coverage areas. Are there any official minimum/maximum distances here?

The biggest question is the one concerning distances in relation to wavelenghts. I´ve read some saying that you should have the antennas as close to multiples of the wavelenghts as possible and I´ve read people saying to use anything else but multiples of the wavelength! Which is true? When using dual band antennas we have two different wavelengths to pay attention to, 2,4ghz (~12.5cm) and 5ghz (~6cm). Asuming we mount the three AP-ANT-19 in a straight line, what distances do we optimally use?

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers,