Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Standalone VMC Pair with AOS 8.3

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Standalone VMC Pair with AOS 8.3

Posted Jun 05, 2018 11:51 PM

Hi All,

I'm trying to get my head around the new AOS platform and licensing, parrticularly for VMs. 

I'm currently trying to size up a VMC solutoin to terminate RAPS and Instant VPN and don't see any need to go down the Mobility Master path. 

I'd like to try and setup dual VMC with what used to be master redundancy in 6.5 so VRRP between the two VMC and share licensing / database sync. 

it seems this architecture is supported (in the AOS 8.0 fundamentals guide) but it appears that because the VMC isn't actually a "master / MCM" (apparently not supported and can only be standalone) I can't setup proper master redundancy. 

Does this sound right? 

When i try to setup database sync on the VMC i get an error "cannot start database synchronization : switch is not an active master".

Likewise centralised licensing doesn't seem to work in standalone mode without MM.

thanks 

Scott

• 2.  RE: Standalone VMC Pair with AOS 8.3
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2018 03:01 AM

Please see the newly released ArubaOS Fundamentals Guide here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ArubaOS-8-Fundamentals-Guide/ta-p/428914

There are quite a few restrictions in MCM (without mm) mode:  Unfortunately a "Master Controller" cannot be a a VM.  If you already have a Virtual Machine infrastructure, just create an MM to save yourself from all of the drawbacks:

Screenshot 2018-06-06 at 01.57.00.png

• 3.  RE: Standalone VMC Pair with AOS 8.3

Posted Jun 06, 2018 06:47 PM

Thanks Colin

The fundamentals guide is an excellent piece of work!! It's the reason i'm now reassessing my proposals!

The limitations on VMC weren't very clearly detalied anywhere prior to this. i think i'll go with your suggestion and use the MM. Its cheaper than trying to deploy a second standalond VMC and should allow me to split the VMC licensing from what i can see.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Standalone VMC Pair with AOS 8.3

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 06, 2018 11:32 AM
    License server sync is betere the Mobilty Master and the Mobility Master Backup.

It cant be done between two VMC because it is a MM feature/responsiblity

• 5.  RE: Standalone VMC Pair with AOS 8.3

Posted Jun 06, 2018 06:51 PM

thanks mkk. its strange because it seems to work with master redundancy  (albeit buggy). 

When i setup two VMC on 8.3 with centralised licensing and master redundancy it kind of works but the backup node actually displays the mobility master role in the top of the GUI when its backup and then changes to mobility controller when its active. 

i'm steering clear of this for now!

• 6.  RE: Standalone VMC Pair with AOS 8.3

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2018 03:52 AM

Centralized licensing works fine with Standalone/Standalone-Backup (where you just need to license the primary Standalone). 

• 7.  RE: Standalone VMC Pair with AOS 8.3

Posted Dec 30, 2019 06:23 AM

Hi,

can i have a question?

I have AOS 8.4 and 2 controller in master/standby standalone config.

VRRP works fine, database sync too.

On first controller I have 490 license

On second controller I have 10 license.

But I dont know, how to setup that first controller will use that 10 license from second controller. So together I could have 500 license.

Is it even possible, to use license from second controller without MM?

Thanks for reply.

• 8.  RE: Standalone VMC Pair with AOS 8.3

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 30, 2019 06:47 AM
    All license must be register and installed on your first controller. This wil be automaticly shared with the standby node when you enable licence sync.

The 10 licence on your standby controller need to be migrate through the my networking portal or asp portal and bound to the serialnumber of your first controller before you can install it on this first controller.

No licence should be installed on the second controller.