Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Throughput looks capped

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Throughput looks capped

Posted Sep 18, 2019 02:14 PM

Hello All

I am noticing a pattern and was not sure if it was a misunderstanding on my part or a misconfiguration. The throughput on the controllers doesn't go above 1G even though we have 10G ports and internet bandwidth of 2.5G. Is this a hard cap or is something missing? I am running Aruba OS 8.3.0.6 - Mobility Master controlling two load-balanced 7220 controllers.

Thanks!

Aruba_Throughput.PNG

• 2.  RE: Throughput looks capped

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2019 11:54 PM
    It is certainly possible. I cannot tell from those screenshots but I would look at my infrastructure for a bottleneck, or measure the sustained traffic on the 10gig interfaces to see the volume of what is coming in and out.

• 3.  RE: Throughput looks capped

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 19, 2019 12:53 AM
    Thinking about it, if all of your switches that your access points are plugged into are Daisy chained by single gigabit connections that will also have an impact on your traffic.

• 4.  RE: Throughput looks capped

Posted Sep 19, 2019 08:17 AM

We have 10 gig ports on the controllers. They support 2 separate networks. The dorm side goes from the controller into a Juniper switch via 10 gig port on both sides and then several other 1 gig ports branch off to other areas of campus. 

• 5.  RE: Throughput looks capped

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 19, 2019 11:05 AM
    Wireless traffic in general is fairly bursty, and it is half duplex, so it takes much more to sustain a gigabit of traffic, for example. In addition, dense wireless networks have a fair amount of contention, so it takes a lot more wireless users to drive the same amount of traffic that wired users would. Retries typically would reduce the throughput of traffic.

With that being said, do you have any bandwidth contracts configured? Are all of your access points on gigabit Ethernet ports?

• 6.  RE: Throughput looks capped

Posted Sep 20, 2019 08:26 AM

We have no contracts enabled. That is what is puzzling to me.