Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Transmit EIRP Aruba OS 8

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Transmit EIRP Aruba OS 8

Posted Sep 04, 2018 08:26 AM

I have set the transmit EIRP on an AP group on the 2.4 radio to a range of 1-5 dB. When I look at the the EIRP data on the individual APs in the dashboard unnder the 2.4Ghz Radio information all of the access points in the AP group show an EIRP of 7 dBm. The AP model is a 315. What is going on?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Transmit EIRP Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2018 04:13 PM

EIRP adds MIMO gain and antenna gain to the conducted per-chain transmit power. Typically, we cannot program a conducted per-chain power level below 0dBm, which limits the minimum EIRP level to 5-10dBm (depending on band and AP type).

• 3.  RE: Transmit EIRP Aruba OS 8

Posted Mar 18, 2019 03:20 PM

I just stumbled upon this issue myself.  Your explanation makes sense to me, but the numbers don't.  If the 2.4GHz radio is 2 streams at 0 dBm each, the combined EIRP should be about 3 dBm, not 7, or 8.5, as I'm getting.  The inability to turn these radios down low is a major inconvenience to anybody trying to use Tx power settings to achieve natural band selection on their WLAN.  (I set my 5GHz radios to 9 and get 9 out, but when I set my 2.4GHz radios to 3 I also get 9 out.)  Does Aruba provide any documentation on max/min EIRP by AP model so that we can propperly configure our RF settings?

Thanks,

Chuck

• 4.  RE: Transmit EIRP Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2019 03:34 PM

Two radio chains with 0dBm conducted power each will result in 3dBm + antenna gain in total aggregate EIRP. Antenna gain will vary by AP model and band.

• 5.  RE: Transmit EIRP Aruba OS 8

Posted Mar 18, 2019 03:45 PM

**bleep** antenna gain. :)

Thanks Onno.

• 6.  RE: Transmit EIRP Aruba OS 8

Posted Mar 18, 2019 03:42 PM

Still curios about documentation, but I think I answred my own question.  AP-325's have 4SS on the 2.4 radio.  Time to disable some useless spatial streams.