Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Trouble using RAP3 to extend wired network using wireless uplink option

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Trouble using RAP3 to extend wired network using wireless uplink option

Posted May 05, 2013 12:58 AM

I am trying to use my RAP3 as a network extension for my home. This is in place of running a wire to my printer up stairs. I have attached a diagram of my network because I'm sure I will slaughter the network description in this text. I have setup a "Backhaul" SSID on my Linksys router and I am connecting the RAP3 to that SSID using the Wireless uplink option.

When my PC is connected directly to the Linksys with Ethernet I can get to the RAP and Linksys, but not the printer.

When I connect the PC to the Test SSID on the RAP3 I can get to the RAP3 and printer, but not the Linksys.

And when I connect the PC to the switch I can get to the printer and RAP3 but not the Linksys. 

Network.jpg

As a side note I created a separate SSID on the RAP3 on a separate subnet 172.16.11.0 and when I connect to that I can get to everything. But I really only want to use 1 subnet. :)

Can anyone help me get all the devices communicating on the same subnet? I will provide a config also as an attachment.

Thanks!

Attachment(s)

txt
    Config.txt   3 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Trouble using RAP3 to extend wired network using wireless uplink option

Posted May 06, 2013 03:32 PM

How are you handing out the IP addresses ?

I am wondering if your PC IP address when you connect directly might be having an IP conflict with the other devices ?

• 3.  RE: Trouble using RAP3 to extend wired network using wireless uplink option

Posted May 07, 2013 09:51 PM

Nope, I statically set all the IPs, No change.

Any other ideas are welcome. I'll try anything.

• 4.  RE: Trouble using RAP3 to extend wired network using wireless uplink option

Posted May 07, 2013 10:12 PM
    What happens if you connect the printer directly to e1 and bypass the switch ?

I think you need to reconfigure the port configuration for e1 .

• 5.  RE: Trouble using RAP3 to extend wired network using wireless uplink option

Posted May 08, 2013 03:15 PM

Since the port configuration has been set as a trunk using the native VLAN 1 and that VLAN is not defined in the IAP , there's no way for the printer to reach the 192.168.1.x network with that setup.

One thing you can do is to upgrade to 6.2.1.0-3.3 and it allows you to define hows the device is connected to that port will get it's IP address (Virtual controller assigned or Network assigned) and this option is not available today on the other code.

Hope this helps

Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 3.11.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 3.11.39 PM.png