Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Troubleshooting AP upstream connectivity issue

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Troubleshooting AP upstream connectivity issue

Posted Sep 29, 2017 01:09 PM

I'm having what appears to be some connectivity issues with some of my APs between them and the controller.  I could have sworn at one point I came across a cheat sheet for troubleshooting these kinds of issues, but I can't find it now.  Does anyone have a good set of commands they'd be willing to share?

(As background, it appears to be only happenning on APs connected through Juniper EX4300 switches, so I want to gather up more data before I decide which vendor to start a support case with.)

• 2.  RE: Troubleshooting AP upstream connectivity issue

Posted Sep 29, 2017 04:21 PM

No cheat sheet, but what I do with our APs on Juniper EX3300 switches:

1) monitor aruba syslogs for APs that are down, reboot, or bootstrap, to identify specific APs

2) on the local controller supporting a suspect AP,  on the GUI look under Diagnostics -> Access Point -> System Status -> <ap_name> , or on CLI:  

show ap debug system-status ap-name "<ap_name>", and look at bootstrap data and missed heartbeats, CPU and Memory Usage, 

Interface counters/information, etc. 

3) On the switch servicing the AP, check the interface extended stats:

sw-ex3300-1> show interfaces extensive ge-2/0/40 

Look for Input errors; Output errors; Queue Dropped packets, Autonegotiation Link partner values, MAC stats, etc. for any anomalies.

Depending on what I find and where, I'll look for common issues and start the conversation with our wire techs, Juniper TAC, or Aruba TAC.

• 3.  RE: Troubleshooting AP upstream connectivity issue

Posted Oct 02, 2017 08:46 AM

Thanks, that's at least a start!