Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Trunk port configuration for AP 205

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Trunk port configuration for AP 205

Posted Feb 09, 2016 03:48 AM

Hi everyone 

i'm going to install WLAN for HOTEL project within this month, i already order 7205 x2 and AP 205 Qty 150  but heres the challenge for configuration.

i wil have total 4 SSID

(1) employee

(2) Guest

(3) Management

(4) Contractor 

here is my planning to setup 

i have total 8 IDF each every IDF has HP 2920 POE switch 

for the Core side i have HP 5500 Switch. and WLAN controller is connected from Core Switch.

here is what i'm confusing 

the AP will broadcast 4 SSID and those SSID will be map to different VLAN 

in this case how can i configure switch port which is connected to AP . 

thanks.

#AP205

• 2.  RE: Trunk port configuration for AP 205

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2016 04:32 AM

• 3.  RE: Trunk port configuration for AP 205

Posted Feb 09, 2016 07:08 AM

thanks for Response

Spoiler
    by the way the HP sale guy quote me Aruba AP-205 Wireless Access Point,  (802.11n/ac, 2x2:2, dual radio,integrated antennas) 
    with controller 7205, 
    what is the different between AP-205 & 205H?
    i already placed order, according to him 4-6 weeks takes to deliever. can you please make clarify this ?

and one things, for example if i configure Controller 
    (1) VLAN = 100 map to employee SSID 
    (2) VLAN =200 map to Guest SSID 
    (3) VLAN = 300 map to  Management SSID
    (4) VLAN = 400 map to contractor SSID 

what should i need to configure on AP and Access Switch?

in my understanding 
     i need to configure Core Switch VLAN 100, 200, 300, 400, and the uplink port of Core Switch needs to configure 802.1Q to carry multiple VLAN. 

for Edge Switch also needs to configure VLAN 100,200,300,400 and down link and AP connected port required to configure 802.1Q

So if i configure this on Switch what other configuration requires AP and controller to have these VLAN and SSID ?

thanks in advance. 
    Tej Bahadur. 

• 4.  RE: Trunk port configuration for AP 205

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2016 07:42 AM

The difference between the 205 and the 205H is that the 205 looks like a regular access point; it is round and usually ceiling-mounted.  The 205H is rectangular and has 3 ethernet ports on the side which can extend wired networks.  Please contact the HP sales person to talk further about this.

To configure wireless networks that end up on different VLANS, you would have to

(1) Configure all of the VLANs on the controller

(2) Configure a trunk on the controller that has all the vlans

(3) Configure a trunk on your layer 3 switch and connect it to the controller's trunk

(4) Use the WLAN Wizard on the Controller to configure each WLAN and it will ask you what VLAN, encryption, etc.  Make sure the forwarding mode is "tunnel" for each

All of the access points will tunnel the user traffic back to the controller and the user traffic will exit the controller on the VLAN assigned via the trunk on the controller.  The access points do not have to be on switch trunk ports; they just need to have ip addresses which will allow them to contact the controller to tunnel all the traffic back.  The controller will decrypt the traffic and assign it to the correct VLAN and send it to the layer 3 switch via the trunk.

• 5.  RE: Trunk port configuration for AP 205

Posted Feb 09, 2016 10:55 AM

Big thanks once again !!

yeah i just spoke with HP sales person, Regarding AP, he said this AP is Controller Base and Wall mountable. 

by the meain time i was asking him configuration and setting up infrastructure the guy is not Technical, regarding configuration. 

actually i'm new in Networking, so first time it make me bit hard.

Moving on 

Now i understand 80 % of configuration however i still have some doubt. 

(1) what if i do not want tunnel employee traffic from AP but still i wanted authenticate from Controller. 

i have attached Typical Topology can you PLZ recommend me configuration !! 

thanks

Tej Bahadur sd.JPG

• 6.  RE: Trunk port configuration for AP 205

Posted Feb 13, 2016 10:09 AM

@tejen_bhandari wrote:

(1) what if i do not want tunnel employee traffic from AP but still i wanted authenticate from Controller. 

what exactly do you mean with authenticate in this context? in principe you have a few deployment models for your APs, tunnel will send everything to the controller, works fine in most cases. bridge will have the traffic exit at the AP, this gives some limitations, you can look those up. and a combination with split-tunnel.

• 7.  RE: Trunk port configuration for AP 205

Posted Feb 14, 2016 09:47 AM

thanks for your response !!

i Suppose to say wireless client Authentication from Controller. 

as you can see above typical topology i have attached, 

there is all seperate network for IPTV, employee Data, Voice, Wifi Guest & employee. 

what i'm trying to do is i will configure 2 SSID. 

Guest SSID is open because i want to authenticate from HSIA (Gateway) and for employee i want to authenticate from Controller. 

i do not allow Guest to comunicate to employee network. for Guest only allow internet access nothing not any internal resource.

(1) Guest Authentication from HSIA 

(2) The HSIA has to send billing information to PMS (property management System) PMS server is living in employee Network.  

(3) employee authenticate from Controller ( because employee Gateway is different then Guest)

Regard 

Tej Bahadur.

• 8.  RE: Trunk port configuration for AP 205

Posted Mar 11, 2016 10:33 AM

thanks for your Response .

following week i have to install 147 Access point with 7205 x 2 controller, hope i'll not stuck for configuration.

i will  update here if i stuck somewhere while configuring.

thanks.

i will be update here once the AP and controller delivers.