Wireless Access

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Tunnel GRE between Controllers | ArubaOS 8

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Tunnel GRE between Controllers | ArubaOS 8

Posted Oct 02, 2018 06:16 PM

HI, maybe the subject is not very clear but I want to know if is possible to create a tunnel GRE as uplink from a branch controller (7005) to a standalone controller (7205) in ArubaOS 8.

We have the following scenario:

Screenshot_98.png

Actually all SSID are tunneled but know we need to configure a 7005 controller in the branch building. I know that there is not possible to use a master-local scenario with Aruba OS 8, becuase we need to terminate APs in the master controller. 

Is there a way to logical connect the two controller using GRE tunnels or somethings so the traffic from the controll 7005  in the brach can go to the 7205 controller?

Sorry if this is a silly question :S

• 2.  RE: Tunnel GRE between Controllers | ArubaOS 8
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2018 07:30 PM

It is possible to run GRE tunnels between two controllers. I your case, you would use an L2 GRE tunnel for transporting your four VLANs.

Are the two controllers configured as master/local today, or are both standalone controllers? If going over the Internet, you will want to run the GRE tunnel over an IPSec connection for extra protection. An IPSec tunnel can also handle NAT traversal, if needed.

• 3.  RE: Tunnel GRE between Controllers | ArubaOS 8

Posted Oct 02, 2018 07:42 PM

thanks CCLEMMER.  The two controllers are now as a standonle controller, in fact the second controller is not configured yet, it just initialized as a standalone with IP and AP License.

The buildings are already connect with a IPSec tunnel created from the routers (one at each location).

Thats great if I can create L2 GRE tunnles, but it is possible over the L3 link? this is no a L2 Fiber link it is a 100mbps dedicated data link provided by an ISP.

is there any documentation about L2 GRE tunnels?

thanks

• 4.  RE: Tunnel GRE between Controllers | ArubaOS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2018 07:46 PM

GRE tunneling should be covered in the user guide. What version(s) of AOS are you running on the controllers?

• 5.  RE: Tunnel GRE between Controllers | ArubaOS 8

Posted Oct 02, 2018 07:47 PM

Currently 8.3.0.3 in both controllers.

• 6.  RE: Tunnel GRE between Controllers | ArubaOS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2018 08:06 PM

My google-fu is failing my for a useful web document while I’m remote. You can download the PDF 8.3 user guide here: https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/29620/Default.aspx

Page 92 starts the documentation of GRE tunnels.

• 7.  RE: Tunnel GRE between Controllers | ArubaOS 8

Posted Oct 02, 2018 08:10 PM

Thanks you very much Charlie! this is very usefull.  thanks again.

• 8.  RE: Tunnel GRE between Controllers | ArubaOS 8

Posted Oct 02, 2018 08:26 PM

Just one last question, is this possible without Mobility Master? I tried the comands on one of the controllers and it didn't return an error but in the user guide it mention the MM.

• 9.  RE: Tunnel GRE between Controllers | ArubaOS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2018 08:33 PM

@cmedranosim2016 wrote:

Just one last question, is this possible without Mobility Master? I tried the comands on one of the controllers and it didn't return an error but in the user guide it mention the MM.

Mobility master is not required. The use of L2 GRE tunnels goes back long before the Mobility Master existed.