Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading controller with RN-3.1.3, please check my upgrade procedure and comment

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Upgrading controller with RN-3.1.3, please check my upgrade procedure and comment

Posted Feb 29, 2012 05:02 PM

We're upgrading our DMZ controller that terminates all our RAPs.  I've written an upgrade procedure that is posted below.  Can you please go over the procedure and let me know if I need to add/remove anything from it?  Thank you.

1.  Upgrade from ArubaOS version 3.3.2.18-rn-3.1.3 to ArubaOS version 3.3.2.24-rn-3.1.9

a.  Copy ArubaOS to Partition 0:1 on controller

b.  Note all APs that are currently UP

(DMZ) #show ap database status up

c.  Set Partition 0:1 as the default boot partition and save config

(DMZ) (config) #boot system partition 1

(DMZ) (config) #write memory

d.  Reload the controller

(DMZ) #reload

e.  Once the controller has booted completely, wait/verify that all RAPs that were UP come back up on the controller

(DMZ) #show ap database

f.  BACKOUT PROCEDURE: Revert back to the code on Partition 0:0 and reload controller

(DMZ) (config) #boot system partition 0

(DMZ) #reload

2. Upgrade from ArubaOS version 3.3.2.24-rn-3.1.9 to ArubaOS version 5.0.4.5

a.  Copy ArubaOS to Partition 0:0 on controller

c.  Set Partition 0:0 as the default boot partition and save config

(DMZ) #reload

e.  Once the controller has booted completely, wait/verify that all RAPs that were UP come back up on the controller

(DMZ) #show ap database

f.  Reflash all RAPs.  RAPs will restart. 

(DMZ) (config) #apflash all local backup-partition

g.  After all RAPs are UP, verify that they are running the correct code version on the flash

(DMZ) #show ap image version

h. BACKOUT PROCEDURE: Revert back to the code on Partition 0:1 and reload controller

(DMZ) #reload

3.  Upgrade from ArubaOS version 5.0.4.5 to ArubaOS version 6.1.3.0

a.  Copy ArubaOS to Partition 0:1 on controller

c.  Set Partition 0:1 as the default boot partition and save config

(DMZ) #reload

(DMZ) #show ap database

f.  BACKOUT PROCEDURE: Revert back to the code on Partition 0:0 and reload controller

(DMZ) #reload

• 2.  RE: Upgrading controller with RN-3.1.3, please check my upgrade procedure and comment

Posted Feb 29, 2012 06:07 PM

I think you've got it.  One suggestion though, do a flash backup before the first upgrade.  Execute the "backup flash" command at the CLI and tftp it off of the controller for safe keeping.  You can do that at each upgrade step if you like.

Additionally, you can use the command "show ap active" instead of "show ap database status up" if you want.  They'll both give you the same info as far as what you're looking for.

I've done this upgrade hop before and have seen some RAPs take a looooong time to come back, so be prepared, but hpoefully you won't run in to that.

• 3.  RE: Upgrading controller with RN-3.1.3, please check my upgrade procedure and comment

Posted Feb 29, 2012 06:48 PM

Ok, I added the "sho ap active" instead and added commands to backup the flash and tech support log.