Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Using XML-API on ArubaOS 6.1 (Aruba 620 Controller)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Using XML-API on ArubaOS 6.1 (Aruba 620 Controller)

Posted Mar 28, 2013 03:39 PM

Hello everyone.

My company recently aquired an Aruba 620 controller and two AP-105 Wireless Access Points.

I am trying to setup this hardware to do some testing. The controller (or the APs) are not even connected to the internet, to an external router or anything at all. I haven't even changed the controller's initial IP. The only thing I actually did was activating the DHCP in the controller so the APs would start getting some IPs.

The APs are going to be used mainly for WiFi office purposes, with a WPA key... pretty standard setup.

What I'm actually trying to do is connecting to the Controller's XML API and see how many people (or devices) are connected to the wireless network at an specific time.

I have been following the instructions in this link (chapter 39 of the Aruba OS 6.1 instructions) and what I understand is that the first thing I need is adding my computer to a kind of white list so the Aruba 620 will "accept" me as a good guy to receive parameters from. Is that correct? Once I have that, I should be able to send commands to http://<controller's IP>/auth/command.xml (if I understood correctly, which I'm not so sure).

The issue is that when I try to add my computer's IP as an xml "server" in the 620 controller, I get an error like the following:

(Aruba620-US) (config) #aaa xml-api server 172.XXX.XXX.XXX

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

(172.XXX.XXX.XXX is actually my computer's IP address)

Is there something I am missing? Do I need to configure some kind of aaa profile first? I do see a "default-xml-api" if I go to Configuration -> SECURITY -> Authentication -> AAA Profiles on the controller's web interface.

Of course, I may be getting everything wrong, and this is not how the system was designed to work at all...

Any hint would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

PS:

This is all my guess... I "imagined" all this because I'm currently trying to send a "user-authenticate" command to the controller through a Python script that uses PyCurl to handle the requests, and when I run it, I get

> POST /auth/command.xml HTTP/1.1
    User-Agent: ecp
    Host: 172.16.0.254
    Accept: */*
    Content-Type: text/xml
    Content-Length: 29

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    < Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:59:31 GMT
    < Server:
    < Connection: close
    < Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    < Content-Type: text/xml
    <
    * Closing connection #0
    <aruba>
          <status>Error</status>
          <code>10</code>
           <reason>internal error</reason>
    </aruba>

And when I go to the controller's logs (Monitoring -> DEBUG -> Process Logs) I read the following:

authmgr[1584]: <199802> <ERRS> |authmgr| ecp.c, ncfg_validate_client:80: MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00 IP=0.0.0.0 missing AAA profile

authmgr[1584]: <124032> <WARN> |authmgr| XML command= (0) result='Error', error='internal error'

• 2.  RE: Using XML-API on ArubaOS 6.1 (Aruba 620 Controller)
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2013 10:54 PM

The XML API requires the PEFNG license.

Without this, the aaa command to add the external server will fail, as you've seen.

• 3.  RE: Using XML-API on ArubaOS 6.1 (Aruba 620 Controller)

Posted Mar 29, 2013 10:03 AM

Thank you for your reply Shawn!

I'll try to convince my company to buy one of these licenses!