Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VLAN Operational State

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  VLAN Operational State

Posted Feb 25, 2014 10:11 AM

Aruba best practices state that VLANs should be configured to be up by using the "operstate up" command to change the protocol status to up.  Does anyone know the reasoning behind this?  I haven't been able to find any further documentation on this.

• 2.  RE: VLAN Operational State

Posted Feb 25, 2014 10:37 AM

You use that command when you don't that VLAN tied to a port , usually people do this for guest VLAN hosted on the controller itself and is not tied to a trunk or access port on the controller

• 3.  RE: VLAN Operational State

Posted Feb 26, 2014 01:45 PM

as for the reason, not 100% sure, might be to prevent odd effects with a network being down when there are no users in it.

• 4.  RE: VLAN Operational State

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2014 08:01 PM

Normally when no there are no devices in a VLAN, the VLAN shuts down. This can happen on the controllers when you don't have an IP interface for that VLAN on the controller itself. Operstate up can help prevent the VLAN from shutting down.

• 5.  RE: VLAN Operational State

Posted Feb 27, 2014 09:14 AM

Thanks cappalli, I know this keeps the VLANs that are not tied to an interface from shutting down.  What I was curious about was why this was an "Aruba Best Practice" since the VLAN immediately goes to an up state when a device joins.  Is this performance related, security related, etc.  Doesn't seem like anyone is sure of the reasoning behind this, and I can't find any Aruba documentation that explains this.