Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Controller IP doesn't work

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Virtual Controller IP doesn't work

Posted Jan 23, 2020 07:22 AM

I have 6xIAP 205 (6.5.4.10) configured together and they are working well. However when I try to get access to Virtual Controller using its IP address, it doesn't work and also, I can't ping it. I can get access using any AP IP address and I'm correctly redirected to the master. Additional information:

1. The IP was working, it just stopped on one stage

2. Controller IP is from the same network as AP and is set to VLAN 1 

3. I can ping controller IP from master AP but can't from any other.

4. I haven't rebooted all AP

5. I've restarted master what moved this function to another device but this didn't help

Could you help me to troubleshoot this issue please?

• 2.  RE: Virtual Controller IP doesn't work

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 23, 2020 07:47 AM

Do you have an ARP entry for the VC on the switch? Have you configured a VLAN for the VC or left it as default? Are any other services (such as RADIUS) using the VC IP without issues?

• 3.  RE: Virtual Controller IP doesn't work

Posted Jan 23, 2020 11:30 AM

Craig - thnak you for your reply.

I've tried to get access to the switch but unfortunately can't so not able to check ARP table. VC Vlan is configured to 1 - not sure what is by default - empty or 1. Radius is main reason why I'm trying to resolve it - I don't use it at this memont but want to configure.

• 4.  RE: Virtual Controller IP doesn't work

MVP
    Posted Jan 28, 2020 09:18 AM

I second the suggestion to check the ARP table for the VC IP address. If you can't remotely access the switch, can you try console access? Also be careful using VLAN 1 in a production environment - VLAN 1 is the native / default VLAN for most network gear, very easy to create network loops and have broadcast storms bring down the network. Just my $0.02.