Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Voice Access

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Voice Access

Posted Sep 07, 2012 07:53 PM

I have an Aruba 800 and use a network server for DHCP. OS is 3.4.4.3. In the last few months I have noticed IP addresses issued to users outside my network. It seems at least some are cell phone users. I have guest access, the receptionist is requred to issue user name/PW. I have tested this and it works. So how are outside users getting in. Is there something I can do stop cell phone users.

• 2.  RE: Voice Access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2012 07:59 PM

@pestocat wrote:

I have an Aruba 800 and use a network server for DHCP. OS is 3.4.4.3. In the last few months I have noticed IP addresses issued to users outside my network. It seems at least some are cell phone users. I have guest access, the receptionist is requred to issue user name/PW. I have tested this and it works. So how are outside users getting in. Is there something I can do stop cell phone users.

Most smartphones are configured by default to connect to any open network.  When they do that, they consume an ip address, from your network, even if they do not authenticate.

• 3.  RE: Voice Access

Posted Sep 07, 2012 08:08 PM

So, what you are saying, they are trying to get access and that takes an IP address even if they can't get in. In other words, I shouldn't worry about it. Thank you for the reply.

• 4.  RE: Voice Access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2012 08:51 PM

Yes.