Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WMM

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  WMM

Posted Mar 27, 2019 10:47 AM

Hello i wanted to give some QoS on a network and i was looking doing it with WMM config,

the problem with this client is that, they seems they use a BW on traffic that is not important for example:   Users are trying to watch a video from a video server but its too slow, at the same time some other user is using the wifi to download a file from a server, so the airtime get busy with that traffice i guess

i was looking to try to fix it with this config

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-configure-WMM-Traffic-Shaping-Policy-for-WMM-clients/ta-p/267446

which seems really simple and  do what i want.  Give priority to video traffic and voice traffic.   

My question is

• does this need any requirement ?
    • do you have to enable this check to make that shapping works?? or what is this check for?? as its disable by default.wmm.PNG
    • any other advice is welcome

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: WMM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2019 05:30 AM

Is the video unicast or multicast stream?  The parameters in that screen shot may or may not apply.

• 3.  RE: WMM

Posted Mar 28, 2019 02:56 PM

The client is not sure if its unicast or multicast

is not enough with the WMM traffic shapping policy?

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: WMM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2019 09:42 PM

You have to indentify the traffic before shaping it.  If QOS is not tagged on the LAN, we have to identify the traffic and attempt to shape it with ACLS.

WMM is enabled by default in 802.11n and 802.11ac networks and that checkbox does not come into play here.