Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What Controller is Compatible (AP103 & AP305)

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  What Controller is Compatible (AP103 & AP305)

Posted Jan 22, 2019 04:11 PM

Onan auction I bought a AP103 and an AP305, a brief google search told me you the AP's had two modes IAP and AP and you could switch. (however it was never mentioned this was not . a AP->IAP conversion)

Originally I wanted to plug the AP305 in the switch at GigE speed and 'link' to the AP103 to get wireless in a current 'bad coverage spot'.

As I understand the contoller thing, you basically connect the AP's to the controller and the controller to the GigE switch?

Anyways. I would like to te get the two AP's working and give the users (my family) a good connection, but not a fortune on a controller. So what are my options now?

-- hardware controller ? (guess the 7005 is the appropiate option)

-- software controller?  (is this available, I read about ArbubaOS and VM's but it unclear to me if that would solve the issue?)

-- EOL Aruba controller (can be had for cheap, but will they provide the GigE access (620 is $80) with only 1 GigE port and support for ancient wifi protocols. 

-- other options?

Any pointers would be welcome!

• 2.  RE: What Controller is Compatible (AP103 & AP305)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2019 04:58 PM

7005 is your best bet.  You would not need a VM.

• 3.  RE: What Controller is Compatible (AP103 & AP305)

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 22, 2019 05:18 PM

Hi uSuRA,

The AP support is based on the ArubaOS releases, you can find the minimum OS version in the datasheets.

AP-103

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP103Series.pdf

Minumum version ArubaOS 6.4.0.0

AP-305

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP300Series.pdf

Minumum version ArubaOS 6.5.0.1 / 8.1.0.0

ArubaOS 6 is diffrent of ArubaOS 8, with AOS8 you have the oppertunity to install a mobility controller on a hypervisorplatform (esxi or hyperv).

Please note that older controllers like the Aruba 3200XM can only run on ArubaOS 6.4.4.x and cant be used for your AP-305.

Yes AP cant convert to IAP, so you need a controller to operate them. The smalles controller for your AP-305 is an Aruba 7000 series controller (or virtualmachine but that isnt nessesary). And dont forget you need an AP licence per AP ;) some controller come with some factory intergrated licence but iam not sure which models that are exactly, you could probarly check that in the quickspecs.

• 4.  RE: What Controller is Compatible (AP103 & AP305)

Posted Sep 04, 2020 04:05 PM

What solution you end up.  7005 controller?   What about the license?