Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What WiFi planning software do you use?

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  What WiFi planning software do you use?

Posted Jun 06, 2019 12:04 PM

I am currently searching for some software to make the planning process for new access point deployments easier. I have read about the VisuaRF plan software but it was discontinued a few years ago.

Is there something else you can recommend?

I think I heard that there is a function like that in Airwave. Unfortunately, I don't have access to an Airwave system. So thats not an option for me.

• 2.  RE: What WiFi planning software do you use?

Posted Jun 06, 2019 12:32 PM

Ekahau Pro is best WiFi design software you can buy: https://www.ekahau.com

The VisualRF component of Airwave has some rudimentary predictive design functions but it really cannot compare to a tool like Ekahau.  

• 3.  RE: What WiFi planning software do you use?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2019 01:07 PM

Ekahau for sure. 

• 4.  RE: What WiFi planning software do you use?

Posted Jun 06, 2019 01:55 PM

Thanks for your inputs. I saw that it costs around 5000$

Is there something less expensive (and maybe even less professional)?

• 5.  RE: What WiFi planning software do you use?

Posted Jun 06, 2019 02:38 PM

Airwave VisualRF is actually pretty good. I do a lot of passive designs and have both Ekahau Pro and Airwave and they seem to get pretty close. I haven't found a good wayt to upload my Ekahau floorplans so I end up doing double the work. Ekahau reports are far and away better than Airwave 

• 6.  RE: What WiFi planning software do you use?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2019 02:52 PM

AirWave is close, and good for generall planning/visualization. 

But unfortunately, proper planning tools are labor intensive and not cheap. You may find some less expensive options out there, but accuracy will diminish rapidly the lower the cost :)

• 7.  RE: What WiFi planning software do you use?

Posted Jun 06, 2019 03:07 PM

I started some 15 years ago with Fluke AirMagnet... But at this very moment I am using Ekahau Pro 10.... Nothing better so far against Ekahau. 

Anything cheaper is just a waste of money. Invest in something that works, otherwise just don't do it....