Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What is the Benefits of Bandwidth Contract ?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  What is the Benefits of Bandwidth Contract ?

Posted May 13, 2014 11:40 AM

Now lets say I have disable the low data rates for 2.4 GHZ (1,2,5.5 Mb) to get the best for airtime and I create a bandwidth contract fron specific vlan to be 1 Mbs now what will happen actully?

• 2.  RE: What is the Benefits of Bandwidth Contract ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2014 11:50 AM

Wifi negotiated rates are not directly  related to throughput (bandwidth contracts).

• 3.  RE: What is the Benefits of Bandwidth Contract ?

Posted May 13, 2014 12:19 PM

ok great ,now lets say that I disabled the low data rates thats affect the signal level to  be reduced ?

• 4.  RE: What is the Benefits of Bandwidth Contract ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2014 12:21 PM

Devices negotiate rates based on signal quality and signal strength.  If a device cannot send a frame through successfully at 54 X number of times, it will de-rate and try at 48, etc.

What exactly are you trying to do?

• 5.  RE: What is the Benefits of Bandwidth Contract ?

Posted May 13, 2014 12:43 PM

I'm not familiar with bandwidth contracts on VLANs - my options only show 'per role,' 'per user,' and 'per AP group.'

We have a guest role that limits bandwidth to 384 kbps up and down, on a per user basis. 

We typically see speed test results of 0.66 Mbps down and 0.70 Mbps up, so not exactly sure how the bandwidth contract actually works.

• 6.  RE: What is the Benefits of Bandwidth Contract ?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2014 12:48 PM

Bandwidth contracts on VLANs only control the rate of multicast traffic on those vlans.  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/interface_vlan_.htm

Bandwidth contracts on roles limits the rate of upstream or downstream traffic on those roles.  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Firewall_Roles/User_Roles.htm