Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What is the purpose of inner IP in IPSEC tunnel in Aruba controller?

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  What is the purpose of inner IP in IPSEC tunnel in Aruba controller?

Posted Jul 30, 2018 12:19 PM

Could any one please tell me the purpose of inner IP in IPSEC tunnel between RAP and mobilty controller?

• 2.  RE: What is the purpose of inner IP in IPSEC tunnel in Aruba controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2018 12:24 PM

The RAP architecture leverages an IPSec VPN tunnel between the AP and controller for securely building the GRE tunnel(s) to the controller. The inner IP then is the VPN protected IPs that are used for the GRE tunnel(s), while the outer IP is used for the IPSec tunnel itself and any NAT traversal.

• 3.  RE: What is the purpose of inner IP in IPSEC tunnel in Aruba controller?

Posted Jul 30, 2018 12:28 PM
    Could u brief it little bit
    --
    *Thanks&Regards,*
    Kvsivasakthi,

• 4.  RE: What is the purpose of inner IP in IPSEC tunnel in Aruba controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2018 01:50 PM

An Aruba AP will usually have a PAPI management session as well as a GRE tunnel per SSID for transporting wireless client traffic back to the controller for processing. For extra security when running connections over the Internet, an Access Point configured as a RAP (Remote Access Point) will first establish an IPSec VPN tunnel back to the controller. The secure VPN tunnel then carries the PAPI and GRE sessions between the RAP and controller.

The PAPI and GRE connections between the RAP and controller will be established via the inner IP address to ensure they traverse down the secure tunnel. 

• 5.  RE: What is the purpose of inner IP in IPSEC tunnel in Aruba controller?

Posted Jul 30, 2018 11:21 PM
    Thank you very much for the for the explanation.

But I have configured 3 ssids in the RAP,so could you tell me how many
    inners ips required to for GRE tunnel??
    --
    *Thanks&Regards,*
    Kvsivasakthi,

• 6.  RE: What is the purpose of inner IP in IPSEC tunnel in Aruba controller?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 31, 2018 03:34 AM

Just a single inner IP for each RAP.

• 7.  RE: What is the purpose of inner IP in IPSEC tunnel in Aruba controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2018 09:56 AM

@Jarvis wrote:
    But I have configured 3 ssids in the RAP,so could you tell me how many
    inners ips required to for GRE tunnel??

One inner IP per RAP.