Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

What would be the acceptable packet loss in a 802.11n enviroment?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  What would be the acceptable packet loss in a 802.11n enviroment?

Posted Nov 22, 2011 05:25 PM

If  wanted to know which would be the porcentage in which i can know something like

Well if i go over that porcentage something is wrong here or above that packet loss porcentage  im okay

For example

i got in one place in a test of 1500 packet sends i got 1.5% packet loss... sometimes is less but let say its 1.5%

Would you consider that acceptable? or it should be less than 1% or less than what?

• 2.  RE: What would be the acceptable packet loss in a 802.11n enviroment?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2011 06:05 PM

The answer would be "it depends on your environment".  Wireless could never compare to wired, due to contention.  When people start complaining, you need to look into the issue or fix it.  You should also consider your testing mechanism.  ICMP does not have a guaranteed delivery mechanism, so that will show failures much earlier than a TCP application like web browsing that will re-transmit silently in the background.

Measure when everything is working as a baseline and measure when things are not working for comparision.  In an empty room, you should not have more than 10% packet drops from ICMP, otherwise you have a problem.

• 3.  RE: What would be the acceptable packet loss in a 802.11n enviroment?

Posted Nov 22, 2011 06:55 PM
      |   view attached

well this client doesnt have any issue but it seems that it bother hims having those packet lost now and then...

He has another wireless device in there which does not present almost no packet loss... and thats why its bothering him even if with the aruba is presenting something a way more lower of what ou said im presenting 1.5% of packet loss....

The other thing ist hat his device is on g network and my aruba its on n network.... if i switch it to g network the packet lost goes lower than 1%

I do have a ticket open  i know yuu always recomend  that but i still wanted some opinions here..

The problem its presening just with MAC laptops... it does much better with IPADS or windows clients....

They got the lastest drivers they say(as with the apple stuff it seems that you just got one update button and if you already update in there then your computer is up to date is not like windows that you can find a newer driver somewhere...) at least is what they told me... im not mac expert...

I already told him i need the tst with many differnte deivces to see the stats.. we just tested with 2 macs  2 ipads and 1 windows client

I find it aceptable as he can browse and do or seems to do everything he needs over 802.11n just fine even if he gets his 1.5% packet loss on his mac laptops..

For example i attached you one ping test  txt done on a mac computer by the admin.... so you can see how he is looking it....

Cheers

Attachment(s)

zip
    Ping.zip   8 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: What would be the acceptable packet loss in a 802.11n enviroment?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2011 07:05 PM

I could not open your zip file, but I will be honest with you:

If I got only two dropped packets out of 100 on wireless, that is GREAT.

Clients are always scanning different channels to locate other access points and update their "avalable wireless networks".  Access points are scanning for IDS/IPS as well as fingerprinting the environment so that they are on the best channel and power.  On top of that, you have a number of clients, all trying to talk to the same access point on the same channel at the same time.  What is also not seen is that there is non-wifi interference operating on the same frequency as that access point that will create occasional retries and performance issues; and what I described is a normal day.

Please inform your customer that 1.5% loss is great.

• 5.  RE: What would be the acceptable packet loss in a 802.11n enviroment?

Posted Nov 22, 2011 07:11 PM

Thanks cjoseph