Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Why cant I debug the DHCP exchange on the controller for my wifi clients

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Why cant I debug the DHCP exchange on the controller for my wifi clients

Posted Mar 04, 2015 05:53 AM

I have a very strange problem that I cannot seem to resolve involving a Aruba Mobility 3600 controller (Ver 6.3.1.8) AP105's DHCP Relay agent on a checkpoint firewall to a windows 2kr8 DHCP server.

I have a problem debugging the DHCP exchange on the controller between any WiFi client and the DHCP server.  I know that the server is able to provide addresses to windows 7 laptops so I assume all my other devices (router firewall) are configured correctly, however no other type of client Iphone, android phones etc are able to get DHCP. I have debugged everything I can think of on the checkpoint side and from the DHCP server, I can see the DHCP discover, then the DHCP offer but no DHCP request come back to the server which leads me to believe the offer isnt reaching the clients.

I am now trying to view the DHCP exchange on the controller, I have checked on numerous support pages and it always refers to the following commands....

logging level debugging network subcat dhcp

<replicate issue>

show log network 50

I cant work out why there is nothing showing on screen when i issue the show command. Any Advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Luke

• 2.  RE: Why cant I debug the DHCP exchange on the controller for my wifi clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 04, 2015 06:56 AM

it might be overkill but check out the DHCP fingerprinting VRD herehttp://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/ArubaOS-DHCP-Fingerprinting/ta-p/155604

• 3.  RE: Why cant I debug the DHCP exchange on the controller for my wifi clients

Posted Mar 04, 2015 07:49 AM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the link I have been looking through and again it states that I should be able to view the DHCP packet exchange using the commands.....

logging level debugging network

show log network all

but i dont get any output regarding DHCP using this command either.

Do i have to do something else to view the DHCP packets on the controller?

Many Thanks

Luke

• 4.  RE: Why cant I debug the DHCP exchange on the controller for my wifi clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 04, 2015 08:03 AM

Luke,

That should be all that you need.