Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wi-Fi 6: What do you think?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Wi-Fi 6: What do you think?

Posted Oct 04, 2018 10:58 AM

You may have saw the news from the WiFi Alliance yesterday on the naming convention change.

"Wi-Fi Alliance® introduces Wi-Fi 6 as the industry designation for products and networks that support the next generation of Wi-Fi®, based on 802.11ax technology. Wi-Fi 6 is part of a new naming approach by Wi-Fi Alliance that provides users with an easy-to-understand designation for both the Wi-Fi technology supported by their device and used in a connection the device makes with a Wi-Fi network."

Full article: https://www.wi-fi.org/news-events/newsroom/wi-fi-alliance-introduces-wi-fi-6

What do you think? Does it even matter?

I think I prefer the original 802.11xx but that's just me.

• 2.  RE: Wi-Fi 6: What do you think?

MVP
    Posted Oct 04, 2018 03:59 PM

Interesting, so moving forward it will always be WiFi #? I just can't see this being adopted anytime soon.

• 3.  RE: Wi-Fi 6: What do you think?

Posted Oct 04, 2018 05:01 PM

Yeah thats right, whatever follows ax will be wifi 7. I dont know if it will catch on with engineers but who knows.

• 4.  RE: Wi-Fi 6: What do you think?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 05, 2018 03:04 AM

I get the feeling it might be more used by marketing people. Easier to put a stick on a box saying this supports Wifi #6 as opposed to 802.11xx standard. Consumers will also just assume the higher the Wifi number the faster it is! haha :D