Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WiFi Calling?

This thread has been viewed 55 times
  • 1.  WiFi Calling?

Posted Jan 24, 2019 04:49 PM

Question for anyone who has WiFi calling working on their network.

The hardest part seems to be sussing out the relevant IP's and hostnames for each provider so that the traffic can be allowed to those destinations. Does anyone have a resource which helps to aggreate that info?

For example:

AT&T IP's, hostnames, protocols/ports

Sprint IP's, hostnames, protocols/ports

T-Mobile IP's, hostnames, protocols/ports

Verizon IP's, hostnames, protocols/ports

• 2.  RE: WiFi Calling?

• 3.  RE: WiFi Calling?

Posted Jan 25, 2019 12:14 PM

Thanks Joseph. Helpful doc.

Looks like there's only two options- 

Allow IPSEC outbound to all, OR spend time identifying the destinations for each provider then limit IPSEC to those destinations. The latter will be a fragile config since those VPN details could change over time. Also you would have to test a phone from each carrier...

Are folks really just letting VPN traffic egress their network to any/all destinations? Seems absurd from a security perspective.

• 4.  RE: WiFi Calling?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2019 12:25 PM

It would be good to hear what others think, yes.

• 5.  RE: WiFi Calling?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2019 01:33 AM

If you want to track and allow wificalling traffic, it would be best to limit it by the FQDN of the carriers ePDG (their end of the wifi calling session). On the controller this means using the "name" abilities of netdestionations to write ACLs based on DNS snooped names. Then you would put an ACL into the user role along the lines of

user alias wificalling_list udp 4500 permit

Some of ePDG FQDNs for US carriers are listed in the CLI guide, see "voice wificalling (6.5.x) or ucc wificalling (8.x). Generally most carriers follow some sort of naming convention like

epdg.epc.mnc001.mcc123.pub.3gppnetwork.org

where mnc### and mcc### are carrier specific. But, the USA carriers seem to mix it up a bit (you will see in the config guide), so that's not a golden rule. You can also try some broad capturing rules like "*.pub.3gppnetwork.org".

How to find out for your use case ? You can try to ask the carriers, check online forums or capture the packets sent by the device when it's trying to connect to wificalling, the DNS requests sent by the phone will tell you what you need to know.

To capture the phone packets, use a tunnel mode VAP and the 'packet-catpure datapath mac <mac> decrypted' command and either send to a host using packet-capure destination ip-address <ip> (wireshark can decode) or capture to the filesystem (destination filesystem) and extract (packet-capture copy-to-flash datapath-pcap)

• 6.  RE: WiFi Calling?

Posted May 03, 2019 02:56 AM

hey ,

thanks all for your responses. i was having similar questions and your answers were helpful to me.

best regards!!

• 7.  RE: WiFi Calling?

Posted Oct 31, 2022 09:55 AM
    Hello, is there an updated tech doc on Wifi Calling? We're exploring any options to get this working on our NAT IP space.

• 8.  RE: WiFi Calling?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2022 10:25 AM
    WiFi calling should just work over NAT. It's even quire rare that clients will get internet addressable IP addresses, so NAT will be 'common'.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 9.  RE: WiFi Calling?

Posted Nov 01, 2022 10:52 AM
    Thank you Herman,

I guess I was confused by the end of this document: Wi-Fi Calling (arubanetworks.com)

Particularly the last line: 

• Wi-Fi Calling is not identified and prioritized if NAT is enabled on the user VLAN. Wi-Fi Calling is not identified and prioritized if the corresponding sessions undergo NATting by the managed device.

Maybe I misinterpreted that as NAT not working, and not that NAT works, but isn't prioritized?

• 10.  RE: WiFi Calling?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2022 11:30 AM
    How I read this, is that if you enable NAT on the VLAN (nat inside), that NAT works, but the prioritization is not done. If you perform your NAT (and routing) on an external device, like your firewall or ISP router, this is not an issue at all.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 11.  RE: WiFi Calling?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2022 06:14 PM
    I have been using WiFi Calling on IAPs over 2x years with no issues.
    there are some of the DNS patterns for carriers.
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_810_WebHelp/Content/instant-ug/voice-and-video/wifi-calling.htm

if you have ACLs for user role, then you need to allow
    "wlan access-rule rule any any match tcp 4500 4500 permit"
    and it works over NAT using NAT-T UDP/4500

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.