Wireless Access

New Contributor

Windows10 802.1x unable to reconnect after controller failover

Hi,

I've set up a pair of 7005 controllers with v8.5.0.0 in a (standalone) master/backup deployment for testing purposes. Everything works fine so far, but there is one serious problem left:

Windows10 machines, configured for EAP-TLS or EAP-PEAP machine auth, cannot reconnect to the 802.1x SSID after the failover to the standby controller has occurred.It just says "Can't connect to this network".

A Macintosh (EAP-TLS or EAP-PEAP 802.1x user auth) doesn't have this problem. It perfectly survives the failover. The Macintosh is connected to the same SSID as the Win10 machine.

I see a log message when the Win10 machine tries to connect during the failover occurence:

May 10 17:07:53 2019 demo-mc2 dot1x-proc:2[4039]: <138094> <4039> <WARN>
<demo-mc2 172.18.13.38> MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2 from Station
34:13:e8:36:a8:6c 90:4c:81:55:bb:90 AP03

When the primary controller comes back again, the Win10 client is able to reestablish the Wi-Fi connection.

Here are some facts about my test environment:

• 2 7005 controllers, v8.5.0.0
  • External Windows NPS Radius Server
  • No EAP termination on controller
  • I tried both, EAP-TLS and EAP-PEAP. No difference.
  • I also tried "no validate-pmkid" and "no opp-key-caching" in my aaa authentication dot1x profile ... doesn't help.

I have no clue on what this "MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2 from Station" error is about ... any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Andreas

MVP Guru

Re: Windows10 802.1x unable to reconnect after controller failover

Any particular reason you decided to use AOS8.5 instead of 8.3.0.6

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Architect @WEI
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Guru Elite

What does the radius server logs say?

You should type "show auth-tracebuf" on the commandline of the controller to see the back and forth radius messages for those clients.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
New Contributor

Hi,

I think I just found the cause of my problem. It had nothing to do with 802.1x or RADIUS. My fault was that I configured a "ha group-profile" with state-synchronization along with the master-redundancy configuration. I thought that this would be good for minimizing failover times.

Obviousluy, the backside of using the "ha group-profile" is, that certain clients run into a "mic failure" (shown in the auth-tracebuf output) during the failover situation. This issue even occurs with iPhone/iPads connected to a wpa2psk SSID! The iOS devices just say "wrong password" ... I tested this with v8.3.0.6 as well.

Now I removed the "ha group-profile" and pointed the APs to the VRRP VIP. The failover now takes more time (~30 seconds instead of ~10 seconds with ha config), but all clients are now able to connect to the second controller when the failover has occurred.

Unfortunately, I didn't find a good documentation describing this standalone master/backup scenario within ArubaOS 8.x docs ... I think Aruba should improve this, because there are still some customers without MM / MC-Clusters out there.

Thank you for your answers, anyway.

-Andreas

Guru Elite

"State Sync" should synchronize the multicast encryption keys in a master/local situation.  How do you have those controllers configured?  I am not sure HA state sync is supported in master/backup master scenarios.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
New Contributor

I'm not sure either .. it was some kind of (not really) educated guess. I did configure this "ha group-profile" at the /mm node-hierarchy level of the primary controller:

ha group-profile LAB-HA
 preemption
 state-sync
 pre-shared-key <psk>
 controller <mc1-ip> role dual
 controller <mc2-ip> role dual
 exit
ap system-profile default
 lms-ip <mc1-ip>
 bkup-lms-ip <mc2-ip>
 exit
ha group-membership LAB-HA

Then I sync'd the config to the secondary controller ("database-synchronize"). This seems to be the only way to configure HA in a master/backup deployment.

I also tried to omit the "state-sync" statement, but in either case, some clients are running into the "mic failed" issue when the primary controller is offline. Others do not run into this and are working quite well.

I learned that the only way to make the controller failover work for all clients is to purge that "ha group-profile" and to point the APs to the VRRP VIP instead.

I did some more tests with 802.1x and Guest (captive portal) SSIDs. Failover times are even worse with those SSIDs. It takes at least 2 minutes until the clients can re-connect, though the APs are NOT bootstrapping. Of course, this is still better than the issue where they can't connect to the secondary controller at all.

I did my recent tests with v8.5.0.0 - there might be room for improvements in future software versions :)

-Andreas

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: