Wireless Access

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WiredAP Client Limit on AP

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  WiredAP Client Limit on AP

Posted May 05, 2020 12:10 PM

Hello community,

I configured an AP303H with enet1 wired port profile to do guest access with Clearpass captive portal. Everything works fine and as expected.

The customer connected a kind of "dumb" switch to that port and we successfully had 4 concurrent "guest" users authenticating with captive portal and also the usual guest mac caching flow works fine, if the client is connecting again.

Now question is about the concurrent client limit on that WiredAP port.

- How many guest clients can connect concurrently" ?

On the Aruba switch with "user-based-tunneling", we can have 32 Clients / MAC accesses per port. 

What is the limit on the AP303H and are there different limits on diffferent AP models?

I was not able to find anything in the docs regarding this limit and we did not have enough "test" clients to evaluate if there is also a limit of 32.

I'd appreciate any useful information or hints concerning this question.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Peter

• 2.  RE: WiredAP Client Limit on AP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2020 05:42 AM

I'm not aware of any practical limit with wired tunneled mode on one of the ethernet ports of your APs. I would not run high volumes of wired client tunneling on AP ports as that is not exactly what it has been designed for, but would not see where you would run into limits. Please note that each client will take a session on the controller which needs to be scaled properly for concurrent users.

• 3.  RE: WiredAP Client Limit on AP

Posted May 11, 2020 04:15 PM

Hello Herman,

Thanks for your anser. I supposed there is a limit as there is one one the switches. 

The customer typically sees 10-20 wired guest clients concurrently on this port and it seems to work.

KR, Peter