Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless Point to Point feasability

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Wireless Point to Point feasability

Posted Apr 17, 2019 11:08 AM
      |   view attached

I am in the beginning stages of investigating a network connection for a building my College is interested in acquiring.   The building and property are roughly half a mile (let's call it 2600 feet to give some leeway) away from the main campus.  There is a nature trail in-between the campus, but I believe the buildings will have a line of sight to one another once on the respective roofs.  But even if not lets consider line of sight a given for this question.

If I were to purchase two Aruba AP 387 units, would I be able to get a fast, reliable connection between the two buildings?  Would there be any configuration considerations at that distance?  I would prefer to get a gig connection to that building if at all possible. I have a previous ptp that had good reliability and success at a much shorter distance. I have attached a diagram of the buildings and distances for reference.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.  I want to have good information before going back to our executives with this ptp concept and plan.

• 2.  RE: Wireless Point to Point feasability
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2019 01:09 PM

That link distance is outside of the 387's functional distance. So the 387s are not viable for a 2600ft link. The fastest speed solution would be AP-374s with ANT-4x4-5314 antennas. Assuming clean RF, that would put you in the 200-250Mbps VHT80 (if there's not clean VHT80 channels you may have to drop to HT40). Aruba currently has no Gbps solution at 1/2mile.