Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

aruba-master DNS record

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  aruba-master DNS record

Posted Sep 01, 2020 09:11 AM

Hi, we have multiple controllers and are in the process of moving APs from old ones to new.  Our APs pointing to new controllers have been provisioned originally using DHCP options then once configured to an AP group were told the IP address and were working fine. We recently upgraded the controller OS and some APs that were running on our new controllers got confused after upgrade and ended up searching for the aruba-master DNS record to learn the controller IP. Unfortunately this record points to our old controllers and we still have a large number of APs on the old controllers. Looking at the config for the old controllers and APs I suspect they have been provisioned to look up this record rather than told explicity what the master IP is. I was wondering if it was safe to change this DNS record temporarily while rebooting the problem APs and then once they have been provisioned with the controller IP to revert it back? Should it be ok as long as none of the other APs reboots while the record is resolving the new controller IP? Do the APs only check for this record on boot up or do they periodically resolve it in the background? Thanks.

• 2.  RE: aruba-master DNS record
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2020 09:21 AM

The APs only check that on bootup.  You should be fine.

• 3.  RE: aruba-master DNS record

Posted Sep 01, 2020 09:27 AM

Thanks for quick response. I was hoping that to be the case, will give it a go later!