Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

best redundancy design

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  best redundancy design

Posted Jul 12, 2014 07:38 PM

Hi.

In my setup there are 2 controllers with Fast Failover and Centralized Licensing. That design works fine for access points. The problem is when I want to add/change something, I have to do it on both controllers. I want to be able to add/change configuration on one controller and synchronize it with the second one so I found out the master redundancy could provide this.

Can Fast Failover be enabled together with Master Redundancy or is there other way to accomplish this?

• 2.  RE: best redundancy design

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2014 08:05 PM

6.3 does not support master/backup master based redundancy and fast failover.  ArubaOS 6.4 does, however.  From the ArubaOS 6.4.0.0 release notes:fast.png

• 3.  RE: best redundancy design

Posted Jul 12, 2014 08:14 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Because controllers are running ArubaOS 6.3, is there any solution to synchronize controllers?

Is ArubaOS 6.4 stable enough to give it a try?

• 4.  RE: best redundancy design

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2014 08:24 PM

mate78,

VRRP-based redundancy is a tried and true form of redundancy and it has been deployed for years successfully.  That is what you should deploy in this situation, as it is less intrusive than an upgrade.

EDIT:  I didn't answer your question:  Master/Backup master redundancy does provide configuration synchronization.  For the redundancy you just make the LMS-IP of your access points the ip address of the VRRP between the master and the backup master.

• 5.  RE: best redundancy design

Posted Jul 12, 2014 08:44 PM

I agree VRRP is tried and is in use for years but in my opinion Fast Failover in better solution and that's why I prefer it. I could even stay with configuring both controllers separately than disabling Fast Failover.

The option of having both Fast Failover and Master Redundancy would be the best and that's why I wanted to know if there are any major issues with ArubaOS 6.4 because upgrade is not a problem.

• 6.  RE: best redundancy design

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2014 08:56 PM

On one hand stability is when software meets a certain standard.  On the other hand, it is the ability for an administrator to manage it.  You should review the release notes for 6.4 in detail and test 6.4 in your lab so that you do not have any surprises and manage the changes that come with 6.4.

Many users upgrade without reading anything and are upset and disappointed when things change, supposedly without warning.  Read the release notes, test 6.4 and determine for yourself if it works in your environment.

• 7.  RE: best redundancy design

Posted Jul 12, 2014 09:09 PM

Obviously I will take a look at release note but unfortunately I will not be able to test it in lab before upgrading.

Thanks once again.