Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

do ap's reboot during lms failover

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  do ap's reboot during lms failover

Posted Jun 16, 2014 10:49 AM

Hi,

i introduced a new (local) backup controller in our setup.  I want to failover an ap group which is now hosted on the master to that local controller.  During lms failover, do the ap's in that group reboot?  The user's guide seems to suggest yes, but this is based on the fact that the master controller is not available.  In our case, it's a manual failover, so the controller is available.

Secondly, is it necessary to have the master and all backup controllers in the dhcp settings?  Suppose following scenario :

master ctrl hosting ap-group (lms)

local ctrl (lms backup)

Master ctrl fails, do ap's reconnect automatically to the backup if you only have the master ip in the dhcp set?  Or in other words, is the ap aware of the lms config (which could be provisioned for example)? 

• 2.  RE: do ap's reboot during lms failover
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 16, 2014 11:27 AM

Hi,

During lms failover, do the ap's in that group reboot? > No. APs do not reboot when they failover in this way.

is it necessary to have the master and all backup controllers in the dhcp settings? > I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this. Do you mean the DHCP option 43 setting for master discovery?

is the ap aware of the lms config (which could be provisioned for example)?  > Yes. When an AP connects it reads the LMS and backup LMS details from the AP group it's provisioned in. The AP will then attampt to connect to the LMS IP address if that's not available the backup LMS will be tried.

You can also use VRRP to do this type of failoverr / load balancing of APs. Someone recently wrote an article about both and when to use them. I'll try to dig it out...

Cheers

James