Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

\|dot1x-proc:2\| MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  \|dot1x-proc:2\| MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2

Posted Jul 30, 2020 04:49 AM

Hi,

I have recently setup syslog server for our WLAN controllers.  There are two devices that are continually generating the message:

\|dot1x-proc:2\| MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2

I can't track the mac addresses but they are generating hundreds of alerts over and over.  Is there a way to stop this message or work out what is causing it?  If I blacklisted the mac address would it disappear?  I have the alerting level set to warning.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: \|dot1x-proc:2\| MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2020 07:39 AM

You should blacklist the mac addresses, but they would appear in different logs.

• 3.  RE: \|dot1x-proc:2\| MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2

Posted Jul 30, 2020 07:59 AM

Thanks.

I have blacklisted the addresses and they do appear in a different log although a lot less frequent which is better thanks for your help.

Would you say that this means someone has been continually trying to connect to the wireless network and failing?

• 4.  RE: \|dot1x-proc:2\| MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2020 08:01 AM

The device seems to be using the wrong preshared key.  It might be a device that was provisioned with that SSID in the past with an old preshared key.

• 5.  RE: \|dot1x-proc:2\| MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2

Posted Jul 30, 2020 08:11 AM

Is there any way to tell what SSID it is using ? We have two one guest using WPA2-PSK and one using WPA2-AES 

As it said key message i believed it would be the WPA2-PSK SSID but wasn't sure 100%