Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

iOS 13 Available Wi-Fi Network

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  iOS 13 Available Wi-Fi Network

Posted Jan 29, 2020 12:51 PM
      |   view attached

Does anyone know what triggers an iPhone to show this notification?

We have a public wifi network and our boss wants this notification to pop up on users iPhones. He saw this notification on his phone when he was at a facility with a public network, and wants to see this happen on our network. I tried forgetting our network on multiple devices, even resetting the network settings, but I don't see this notification come up. 

We're running Aruba OS 8.6.0.2 MM/MD w/ campus APs. If there's a knob or switch that needs to be touched please let me know!

edit: added an image to show the notificaiton I'm talking about

• 2.  RE: iOS 13 Available Wi-Fi Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2020 01:11 PM

• 3.  RE: iOS 13 Available Wi-Fi Network

Posted Jan 29, 2020 01:15 PM

That's an older version of iOS, but we have our setting set to "notify". I've seen this notification on my phone before, and like I mentioned earlier my manager has, when we go to other public places with public networks. I let him know it's probably because our phones already know this network since we've joined before, but I figured resetting the network settings on the phones would prompt the notification but so far nothing.

• 4.  RE: iOS 13 Available Wi-Fi Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2020 01:14 PM

Unfortunately Apple has not publicly disclosed their criteria for tagging a network.

• 5.  RE: iOS 13 Available Wi-Fi Network

Posted Jan 29, 2020 01:17 PM

Ok good to know. I'll try to find a contact within Apple.

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: iOS 13 Available Wi-Fi Network

MVP
    Posted Jan 29, 2020 01:43 PM

https://www.macworld.com/article/3482122/what-the-new-ios-13-wi-fi-message-means-about-nearby-available-networks.html

I dunno if this helps or not, but it's a good thing to read and get to know how this notification actually works.

• 7.  RE: iOS 13 Available Wi-Fi Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2020 04:03 AM

Reading that article, it seems that you need to make your network 'popular'. What may help is to get as many Apple users to connect to your guest SSID in the hope that their devices will report to Apple and at one point in time the network is added as a popular network and show up for other users.

But, I'm just reading and assuming.