Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

iPad 2 Connection issues - Some work fine, some do not...

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  iPad 2 Connection issues - Some work fine, some do not...

Posted Sep 04, 2013 02:15 PM

We have a network of AP-105 and AP-135's and a 3400 controller with the 6.3.0.1 code on it.  We have 1 802.1x SSID, 1 Captive Portal, 1 Guest and 1 hidden WPA2 SSID for a total of 4 SSIDs on each AP.

We just started a full blow iPad 1-to-1 implementation and have roughtly 500 devices on at any given time.  Of those, 400ish are iPads.  Of those 400 iPads we have had an issue with about 10-15 devices simply NOT connecting to the wireless.  The majority of our iPads are the iPad 2's.  And the majority of them work fine.  Whe it was 1 or 2 I figured they were just bum iPads... it happens.  But with this many I'm starting to wonder.

Here's what I know...

They are iPad 2 16GB WiFI only models.
    They are brand new, out of the box.
    They seem to connect to non-password protected WiFi fine EXCEPT for our captive portal.  The guest network is no problem, but the 802.1x and the WPA2 are a no go.  You tap the SSID, put in your username and password, it presents the certificate and then boom... it just spins and nothing happens.

I have stared at the log while I have tried to log in to the wireless and nothign shows up at all.  If I attach to the guest network, it shows up and logs it fine.

I am kind of at a loss.

Any help, fellow AirHeads?

THANKS!

• 2.  RE: iPad 2 Connection issues - Some work fine, some do not...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2013 05:32 PM

You have a choice:

1.  Open a Support case

2.  Open a support case and subject yourself to questions from everyone here.

• 3.  RE: iPad 2 Connection issues - Some work fine, some do not...

Posted Sep 04, 2013 05:49 PM

Ok then... so much for community help, I suppose.  I was trying to see if it was an iPad issue or an Aruba issue but shall I take your response to mean it must be an Aruba issue?

• 4.  RE: iPad 2 Connection issues - Some work fine, some do not...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2013 05:51 PM

@bsarte wrote:

Ok then... so much for community help, I suppose.  I was trying to see if it was an iPad issue or an Aruba issue but shall I take your response to mean it must be an Aruba issue?

Community help, but we need more details.  We have quite a few locations where iPads work just fine on Aruba.  Here are some questions:

- Did this ever work?

- Did anything change recently?

- Does it work at some times per day but not others?

• 5.  RE: iPad 2 Connection issues - Some work fine, some do not...
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 04, 2013 07:44 PM

Not sure if you tried these things :

- But you could turn on logging level debugging user-debug <device mac > - this will allow to see where it may give you an idea why it is failing
    - do a show auth-tracebuf | include <device Mac> - you can see the authentication process
    - you can try resetting the network settings on the iPad , settings>general>reset>reset network settings
    - are all these iPads using the same OS ?
    - make sure you are not running out of IPs
    - take a look at your radius server to see if there's any event logs regarding these devices

Note: make sure that when you are done troubleshooting you turn off debug

• 6.  RE: iPad 2 Connection issues - Some work fine, some do not...

Posted Sep 05, 2013 09:51 AM

So... ironically, we were out of IP addresses.

We had just created 4 subnets for the wireless devices, in order to cut down on chatter.  Turned out -- our 500 wireless devices were taking up 90% of them on average.  I added a new range and VOILA the few that did not work, worked!

Thank you for helping me think "outside the wireless" a little.

No TAC case needed!