Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

idle time out

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  idle time out

Posted Mar 29, 2016 04:46 PM

I know this sounds like a silly question...I have a question regarding idle timeout setting on controllers:  If idle timeout is disabled, will users have to re-authenticate after default factory setting 5 minutes, or does this cancel idle timeout all together.

• 2.  RE: idle time out

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 30, 2016 01:30 AM

You cannot disable idle timeout, but you can increase it.  Theoretically it means that users will be logged out after idle timeout duration of inactivity, so they could be inactive and login less.  Unfortunately, it means that users will be in the user table for much longer than they are actually there, leading to an artifical inflation in the number of users on your controller.  I advise most people not to touch it.

• 3.  RE: idle time out

Posted Mar 30, 2016 10:49 AM

Thank you for the response...I should have mentioned we have a mixture of Aruba and Cisco controllers supporting guest wireless.  Do you know if idle timeout can be disabled on Cisco controllers?  I am researching it now.

Thanks