Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

import server, CA certificate

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  import server, CA certificate

Posted Mar 18, 2013 11:44 AM

Hi,

To import a server- and the trusted CA certificate on the controller. Do we import the 2 seperate or do we made a chained certificate with the server- and CA certficate and import the chained certificate into the controller as a server certificate?

regards

• 2.  RE: import server, CA certificate

Posted Mar 18, 2013 01:27 PM

You should be able to do either method.    I usually add them separately, but if there is an intermediate issuing CA, you may need to chain that before importing.    See Aruba KB https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/R-772 for more information.   

Other commentary on this here in the community:

• 3.  RE: import server, CA certificate

Posted Mar 21, 2013 10:26 AM

HI,

In my case, I have only a ROOT CA.

So I import the ROOT CA as a trusted CA into the controller.

Then I import my certificate (that I generate on my ROOT CA) as a server certificate.

under management, I change the webgui certificate to my server certificate.

Then I logon to the controller. I have no warning message. But next to the url in the explorer, I do see still a certificate error.

This website’s address does not match the address in the security certificate

This error means that a website is using a certificate that was issued to a different web address. This error can occur if a company owns several websites and uses the same certificate for multiple websites.

• 4.  RE: import server, CA certificate

Posted Mar 21, 2013 10:34 AM

What common name is on the certificate (CN).   It can be seen in the Issued To: field.   Is it the same FQDN name you are typing in the URL?    If not, you'll get a certificate error.

• 5.  RE: import server, CA certificate

Posted Mar 21, 2013 10:36 AM

I have to check this.

but I am using the ip address to logon

regards

• 6.  RE: import server, CA certificate

Posted Mar 21, 2013 10:50 AM

That would be the reason.  The IP does not match the name the certificate is issued to. 

• 7.  RE: import server, CA certificate

Posted Mar 21, 2013 10:53 AM

will the certificate only work when you use name of the device? Or can we do it also with ip address?

• 8.  RE: import server, CA certificate
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 21, 2013 10:57 AM

You should be able to use an IP as the common name of a certificate if you'd prefer (if that is your question); but they are typically FQDNs.

• 9.  RE: import server, CA certificate

Posted May 21, 2015 02:44 PM

Thank-you.  This was very helpful. 

@clembo wrote:

You should be able to do either method.    I usually add them separately, but if there is an intermediate issuing CA, you may need to chain that before importing.    See Aruba KB https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/R-772 for more information.   

@clembo wrote: