Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

low goodput

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  low goodput

Posted Sep 15, 2012 10:53 AM

Hello Again

I got a lot of low good put in one client and a 3% to 5% ping drop client is telling me that he says sometimes the wirless networks goes really slow

Well yesterday i did many things to see if it  helps

-i enable airtime

-I enable drop broadcast and multicast

-I configured vlan poolin, as there are like 500 students and they were all in the same vlan...

-i configured Link aggregation

-i removed the 40mhz channel pair as im looking the APS are using like 1+ 11- and im looking that the APS are using these concatening channel and i don tknow does this could cause trouble? shoud i put it again? anyways it didnt seems to work i still can see 1+ 11-  channels...

-

I got a question about the vlan poolin

I remenber that once i read that Collin said

- Wireless is a shared mechanism and no two clients can transmit at the same time, on the same VLAN in the same system

Let say i got vlan poolin so i got my computer and the client computer but they are both in different vlan cause of the vlan poolin,  does both client can transmit at the same time because they are on different vlans?( at least thats what i understood)

What do you mean on the same system? on the same channel?  can someone enligh me in this understanding?

I also wanted to Disable 802.11b rates and lower 802.11 g but im not sure if im donig it right

For example on teh virtual AP on the basic rates should i uncheck 1 and 2mbs and then check 9mbs (so clients just can connect to 9mbs) and then on the transmit rate i will uncheck 1,2,6 mbs 

All this in the 2.4ghz band...

Im correct? or im incorrect? i guess this would help with my issue tho...

All the comments are welcome...

• 2.  RE: low goodput

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2012 11:03 AM

What access points?

What version of ArubaOS?

Are you using encryption?

If your channels are 1+ and 11- that means your are channel bonding in the 2.4ghz, which is not good.  You should only be seeing that in the 5ghz band. To fix that, Edit your AP group.  Go to RF Management> 802.11g Radio Profile> ARM.  Make sure that "Allowed bands for 40MHz channels" is either "a-only" or "none".  If you type show AP active, the + and - should disappear from the radios.

Do not disable 802.11b rates, yet.  First fix the issue above which is much more troublesome and measure again.

• 3.  RE: low goodput

Posted Sep 15, 2012 11:22 AM

Okay i already did i had to reboot all the APS because just changing the value didn work.... anyways its all set now they are not using channel bounding

Fimrware 6.1.2.8

AP93(thats why i though well its using channel bounding no good as its on 2.4ghz)

The client got WPA2 PKS AES

• 4.  RE: low goodput

Posted Sep 15, 2012 04:45 PM

Collin 2 Question

1-Will increase the time in which the AP goes to the other channel could help with this ?}

2- Also i would like to know this as your personal opiion  in this scenario Let say you deploy a solution for 700 users for example.

Let say you got enough Air monitors ALSO let say for each 4 or 3 aps you got 1 Air monitor

Would you turn off the option( i dont remenber the name of it right now) well the option in which the AP jumps to another channel to do some scanning i mean normal APS i let the air monitors do the scanning job?

As i see it, it will increase the performnace but i ll have like less ears or eyes in the network for channel scanning?

Or do you think i should not consider never turn off that option in which Normal APS serving clients, that option shuld not be turned off.

Thanks

Carlos

• 5.  RE: low goodput

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2012 04:57 PM
    1. No.
    2. You only need air Monitors if you want to detect and stop rogue APS. If you only want to detect, your existing APS are good enough. They will also scan other channels, by default, already. You should deploy dual band APS like the ap105 if you have to serve a lot of Clients.

• 6.  RE: low goodput

Posted Sep 15, 2012 05:11 PM

thanks for your comment Collin

I really though it would help as the AP serving client HAD to change to another channel and in that time he will not serve the clients....

On your second comment yeah i noticed that i already adviced the Sales guy of our company that if you want to use the RF protect just like an IDS then you migt not need to sell the clients air monitor but if the client WANTs to do something about it  then you will need air monitors... Personally i would not buy a RF protect license if i couldnt do the prevention part properly...

So in summery  you need dual band APS when its a high density deployment single band ap  is not good....

So you never tunr off that option in which the ap switch to another channel then? i gain nothing doing that?  

I hope its considered the subforum for presales in here... i would really like to see that... as i do presales and post sales of aruba :)

I know that was out of topic sorry hehe

• 7.  RE: low goodput

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2012 05:19 PM

@NightShade1 wrote:

thanks for your comment Collin

I really though it would help as the AP serving client HAD to change to another channel and in that time he will not serve the clients....

On your second comment yeah i noticed that i already adviced the Sales guy of our company that if you want to use the RF protect just like an IDS then you migt not need to sell the clients air monitor but if the client WANTs to do something about it  then you will need air monitors... Personally i would not buy a RF protect license if i couldnt do the prevention part properly...

So in summery  you need dual band APS when its a high density deployment single band ap  is not good....

So you never tunr off that option in which the ap switch to another channel then? i gain nothing doing that?  

I hope its considered the subforum for presales in here... i would really like to see that... as i do presales and post sales of aruba :)

I know that was out of topic sorry hehe

The AP serving clients changes channels once every 10 seconds for 110 milliseconds.

You could purchase the RF protect to detect attacks.  The base license without RF protect only detects and mitigates rogue APs.  Even if you do not have dedicated Air monitors, tarpitting, which comes with the RF protect license is a very, very effective method of mitigating attacks.

A single band AP MUST provide access to the 2.4ghz spectrum, which is channels 1,6 and 11.  A dual band AP can then provide access to the 5ghz spectrum which is at least 8 more channels, at the same time.  

AP scanning is on by default and should NEVER be turned off.  It is the only way that an AP can scan the other channels to see if they are better, so they can change.  The off-channel scanning is minimal because clients are ALSO scanning other channels all the time to see what APs they can roam to.  Applications are tuned to operate correctly within these tolerances.  Bandwidth and delay sensitive applications like VOIP can be automatically detected and the access points will pause scanning when they see calls that are in progress to deal with that issue.  The fact that Aruba is application aware means that it can tell the difference between an active call and just a SIP, Spectralink or Cisco VOIP phone being connected to the network.  This is a huge differentiator.  Most WLAN vendors need you to have a separate SSID to operate VOIP correctly..  Aruba can do this in the case of a softphone, for example.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

• 8.  RE: low goodput

Posted Sep 15, 2012 05:23 PM

Thank you Collin

Im adding all this to my notes :)