Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

making wireless as stable as wired

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  making wireless as stable as wired

Posted Mar 05, 2020 10:45 AM

We are a university and we are moving toward setting up wireless laptops for the students to do their test taking. How can I make the wireless testing as stable as the wired testing?

• 2.  RE: making wireless as stable as wired

• 3.  RE: making wireless as stable as wired

Posted Mar 05, 2020 04:40 PM

I am currently using 20mhz channel width for both 2.4 and 5ghz should I consider changing that to 40mhz for the 5ghz channels?  I also wondered if 50 -60 ft distance between ap's is the standard? Does band steering make a device prefer 5ghz over 2.4ghz?

• 4.  RE: making wireless as stable as wired

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 05, 2020 06:00 PM

20mhz for both works in 90% of circumstances, so you are all set.

50 to 60 feet is typical for an office environment.  If you created a 50 to 60 foot box and overlaid it on your floor plan, just have an AP in each box, really.  If you are using ArubaOS 8.x with an MM, ClientMatch is used to steer clients instead of bandsteering.  ClientMatch is on by default.

• 5.  RE: making wireless as stable as wired

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2020 04:25 AM

Just as an addition.

If test taking is happening in a hall with 100s of laptops in a single room, that is not considered a 'generic office environment'. Such locations require special attention, and I would advise to consult an engineer who is experienced in such RF designs. Blindly putting APs on a 15-20m / 50-60ft grid in a large open space will probably not provide the optimal results.

• 6.  RE: making wireless as stable as wired

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2020 07:12 AM

We already have a TAC case open with this customer.  Nothing is being done blindly.

• 7.  RE: making wireless as stable as wired

Posted Mar 06, 2020 11:10 AM

I highly recommend you read Aruba's design guides for high-density environments. TAC is great for support but I wouldn't expect them to provide complete design services for AP placement.

• 8.  RE: making wireless as stable as wired

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2020 02:20 PM

The op who opened this thread is free to discuss the quality of the advice given if they see fit.  The more information received, the better, whether it is from TAC, or documentation.

• 9.  RE: making wireless as stable as wired

Posted Mar 11, 2020 01:04 AM

That link has some good information "removing the bottleneck in wireless" I see the date of the document is 7 years ago 2013 would the same power setting still be used 12 to 18 today environment running version 8 with a Mobility Master?