Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

roaming between subnet

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  roaming between subnet

Posted Aug 15, 2019 12:12 AM

Hi Guys,

in a single controller deployment with 2 different ap-group and VLAN, is it possible to roam them? i'm thinking IP Mobility but not quite sure if it applicable in this scenario.

the reason behind different VLAN is that the customer wants to route some APs to different ISP based on location.

• 2.  RE: roaming between subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2019 05:49 AM

Are you saying that in the same location there are two different ISPs?  What is the topology?  Why are they using two different ISPs?

• 3.  RE: roaming between subnet

Posted Aug 15, 2019 06:10 AM

Hi Collin,

it's a hotel deployment where they use a dedicated ISP for some high dense location like ballrooms.

they use separate VLAN for those rooms.

the issue is roaming for people coming in or getting out of the rooms and the cust dont want to use different SSID.

i was thinking to use IP Mobility but not sure if it would work (still planning, havent got the chance to try it) or i might try to use RAP and do dst-nat to route the traffic from one VLAN to the other. so the WLAN's VLAN stays the sames but i change it through split-tunnel dst-nat.

any suggestion for me?

• 4.  RE: roaming between subnet
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2019 06:26 AM

Ip mobility is for when clients roam between controllers.

Frankly, having two ISPs for a single deployment is a poor design from a management, troubleshooting and performance perspective.  Clients that roam to the second ISP would have to reestablish all of their connections.  When users complain and have issues, you would have almost no way to determine if the problem is the client device, the wifi or the ISP, complicating your management of such a possible solution.

They should have all clients on the same  ISP. The ISP should be sized correctly and be done with it. - That is my advice.

• 5.  RE: roaming between subnet

Posted Aug 15, 2019 06:59 AM

Hi Collin,

yes that what i told the customer. but sometimes, they always have a weird idea to do things. i will keep advising them to do it the right way but i might try to do the RAP idea with split tunneling. thanks though.

• 6.  RE: roaming between subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2019 07:53 AM

RAP with split tunneling at a Campus Site?  You cannot roam from ap to AP with a split tunneled SSID.  What is the problem that needs to be solved?

• 7.  RE: roaming between subnet

Posted Aug 15, 2019 11:23 PM

basically we need roaming between VLAN without re-dhcp.

how about if i implement vlan pooling and user derivation rule.

vlan pooling consist 2 VLAN A and B but VLAN B only being used if users associates from certain AP (we can use User derivation to set VLAN based on AP location name). so even if user B roams, it still able to hold its old VLAN because of vlan pooling.

do you think this would work?

• 8.  RE: roaming between subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2019 11:43 PM

What is the purpose of users being on different VLANs?

• 9.  RE: roaming between subnet

Posted Aug 15, 2019 11:47 PM

they use different vlan tag as rule to route them to different ISP.

• 10.  RE: roaming between subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2019 11:50 PM

Why do users have to go to different ISPs?  Make all the wireless users go to the same ISP.

• 11.  RE: roaming between subnet

Posted Aug 16, 2019 12:03 AM

that's what i told them. but they want to route certain area with a dedicated ISP for better internet throughput, and they use different vlan to do this.

• 12.  RE: roaming between subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2019 06:02 AM

Then they should just have a different SSID, then.  Doing it any other way could be challenging.

• 13.  RE: roaming between subnet

Posted Aug 16, 2019 06:07 AM

suggested it and they rejected it.

my best idea to try now is to use User derivation based on AP name in that area but there is a risk if this user doesnt get disconencted any time after they leave the room, the vlan will stay.
     do you have any other idea to do this?

• 14.  RE: roaming between subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2019 06:09 AM

Are they already doing this with their existing network?

• 15.  RE: roaming between subnet

Posted Aug 16, 2019 06:22 AM

it's an old issue with non-aruba devices. now they are replacing all their AP and expecting the same topology but without the issues. i'm just trying my best to solve it for them by using some tricks here and there but in the other hand i also suggested them to fix the topology to be more reasonable.

• 16.  RE: roaming between subnet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2019 06:27 AM

Ding Ding Ding