Wireless Water Cooler

last person joined: 17 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!
Expand all | Collapse all

Mounts for ceiling tiles that extend below the rails.

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Mounts for ceiling tiles that extend below the rails.

Posted Apr 26, 2016 06:45 PM

I'm wondering if the ceiling mounts that come with the AP-325 work with ceiling tiles that extend below the rails.  We have some that sit flat on the rails, and other ceilings where the tiles extend maybe 1/4inch below the rails.  The included mount looks like it would push up the ceiling tiles that extend below the rails.  Is there a solution other than to cut holes in the tiles where the AP would push it up?

• 2.  RE: Mounts for ceiling tiles that extend below the rails.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 28, 2016 05:27 AM

You probably need the AP-220-MNT-C2 mount kit for recessed ceiling tiles mount:

The AP-220-MNT-C2 ceiling rail adapter kit includes the following items:
    - Adapter for Open (Silhouette) ceiling tile rails. The wider of the two adapters.
    - Adapter for Flanged (Interlude) ceiling tile rails. The narrower of the two adapters.

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_ViewDetails/Default.aspx?EntryId=11535

Please check with your partner or HPE Aruba SE if you need advise.

Herman

• 3.  RE: Mounts for ceiling tiles that extend below the rails.

Posted May 04, 2016 01:58 PM

Maybe it has two applications and it would work, but it looks to me like that's a completely different ceiling system than we've got.  The rails are the correct size for the adaptor that comes with the AP's to fit onto.  The tiles just extend below the level of the rails.  I've now got an AP-325 in hand and can show a picture of what I feared with the mount that's included.  It pushes up the tiles so they're flush with the rails.  The only way to use this mount and not have that happen would be to have to cut a rectangular hole in two adjacent ceiling tiles to make room for the ceiling mount without touching the tiles.  

I like to avoid cutting tiles whenever possible because the ceilings will last for decades and the AP's are going to be replaced every 4-7 years, and each new model is a different shape using a different mounting scheme 

ceiling and ap325.jpg

From the documents on aruba's website, I don't think the AP-220-MNT-C2 is going to mount to this ceiling grid.  Do you think I'm wrong?

• 4.  RE: Mounts for ceiling tiles that extend below the rails.

Posted Jun 22, 2016 02:58 PM

Adam,

Did you ever find a solution for this?

I've got an Aruba TAC case in for this exact issue, and am waiting to hear back from them.

What I'm looking for is 115/135/205/215/225/325 equivalent to the AP-105-MNT-C - which specifically says it can do 15/16" recessed ceiling grid.

AP-220-MNT-C2 doesn't appear that it would work on 15/16" ceiling grid, looking at it's data sheet.

I could be wrong though.

• 5.  RE: Mounts for ceiling tiles that extend below the rails.

Posted Jun 22, 2016 07:13 PM

Isn't AP-220-MNT-C1 going to be the equivalent part for AP-105-MNT-C which I think is what an AP-325 ships with.That pushes up the ceiling tiles where the rails are recesed lower than the surface of the ceiling tile. (see my picture in an earlier post)

My best idea at the moment is to use a clip something like this: http://s2.img-b.com/lightingdirect.com/imagebase/resized/330x320/progresslightingimages/progress-lighting-p8771-30-100.jpg and see if I can attach it to a AP-220-MNT-W2W and add an extra nut to the screw to make the wall mount bracket lower than the surface of the ceiling tile.  I need to get a AP-220-MNT-W2W ordered so I can try that to see if it works out like I think it will.

• 6.  RE: Mounts for ceiling tiles that extend below the rails.

Posted Jan 03, 2017 02:20 PM

This is a very old thread, but the solution we used was the standard T clip, and cut a little notch in the edge of the tile on each side of the clip so that they drop down next to the clip, rather than being held up by the edge of the clip.

The standard clip is thick enough so that the top of the AP is below the tiles even after they drop into place.

• 7.  RE: Mounts for ceiling tiles that extend below the rails.

Posted Jan 03, 2017 02:40 PM

That's maybe better than what I did.  I was just hoping to not have to cut the tiles.  I had metal clips that clip onto the ceiling grid, each has a threaded screw attached to it that a nut can screw onto.  So I used those to attach a wall mount bracket for the AP onto the ceiling, and put an extra nut on the screw to make it hang below the level of the tiles.  It's now much thicker than it otherwise would be but it doesn't push the tiles up.