Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Mixed environment upgrades

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Mixed environment upgrades

Posted Feb 27, 2019 04:29 PM

I received the notice on the vulnerabilities found in 6.5.4.10 which is what my IAP cluster is on. The last time I tried to upgrade using the automatic upgrade, a handful of my IAPs did not upgrade and were obviously no longer visible in the IAP webUI. I ended up having to remove all failed IAPs from the network and manually upgrade them to get them back as members. I have a mix of 204/205, 275 and 304/305s. The last time I tried this, it seems that the ones that failed were not consistent to a specific model, I had one or more from each series that bombed. What am I doing wrong? I have read the docs and it appears that what I am trying to do is the preferred method. I did see an article on here that mentioned using Airwave to manage upgrades, but I am not sure if this is an absolue requirement or not. I am concerned about the vulnerabilities in 6.5.4.10, the notice recommends upgrading to 6.5.4.11; incidentally there is no 6.5.4.11 on the software download site, only 6.5.4.12. I dont want to have to manually touch a slew of APs if this next upgrade goes as smoothly as the last. Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Mixed environment upgrades

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2019 05:07 PM

If you are upgrading a mixed environment, typically you are prompted to set the path (ftp, tftp) of the image for each platform you are upgrading, and that should work.

• 3.  RE: Mixed environment upgrades

Posted Feb 27, 2019 05:20 PM

I will try that method this time, last time I attempted the automatic upgrade method. It sounds like that was my mistake. I will try specifying the upgrade URL pointing to my laptop where the upgrade files reside and see if I get better results. I will post the results after. Sounds like the Automatic upgrade is only a good option if all APs in the cluster are from the same family..?

Thanks CJoseph

• 4.  RE: Mixed environment upgrades
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2019 08:49 PM

When you upgrade mixed clusters with different firmware builds you can use the upgrade-image2 command.  I included some references below:

Firmware management for mixed IAP clusters:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_40_Mobile/Advanced/Content/UG_files/Basic_conf_tasks/Firmware_Image_Server_in.htm

CLI upgrade for mixed clusters:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_83_WebHelp/content/instant_cli/upgrade-image.htm

i.e. upgrade-image2 pegasus@tftp://192.168.0.1/ArubaInstant_Pegasus_6.5.2.0_59123;Ursa@tftp://192.168.0.1/ArubaInstant_Ursa_6.5.2.0_59123