Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

JL563A & HPE/Aruba 2920 Switch Compatibility

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  JL563A & HPE/Aruba 2920 Switch Compatibility

Posted Oct 30, 2019 04:19 PM

Hello,

I've got an urgent need to utilize a copper-based 10GbE connection.  I've currently got a pair of 2920 switches installed with 2-port SFP+ expansion modules.  I've found on several websites where the JL563A SFP+ works with these 2920 switches.  I believe that the ArubaOS-Switch and ArubaOS-CX Transceiver guide also states that the part is compatible with the switch.  However, I could be misreading that guide.

Can anyone confirm whether this JL563A RJ45 SFP+ works with the 2920 switch or not?

Thank you for your help!

• 2.  RE: JL563A & HPE/Aruba 2920 Switch Compatibility

Posted Oct 30, 2019 05:03 PM

Hello!

The 2920 plattform ist arubaOS based not arubaOS-CX.

In the arubaOS portfolio, only 1 GBE Cat5e transceivers will be supported (J8177D on 2540 and above, as far as I know).

The J563A will be available for 8320 series and above.

• 3.  RE: JL563A & HPE/Aruba 2920 Switch Compatibility

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 30, 2019 07:40 PM
    Hi,

Sruba 2920 Switch series doesn't support and hasn't ever supported JL563A SFP+ RJ45 Transceiver (as reference read what was discussed here: https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wired-Intelligent-Edge-Campus/JL563A-Transceiver-Support-in-8320/td-p/489224).

That said if you need RJ45 10Gbps connectivity (through Cat.6A cabling) on Aruba 2920 you should use J9732A two RJ45 10GBASE-T ports Module...or, if maximum distance and peer compatibility shortcomings aren't a stopper for you, use supported SFP+ to SFP+ DACs cables (1, 3 or 7 meters long).

In any case check Aruba 2920 Switch series QuickSpecs to understand what options are supported.

• 4.  RE: JL563A & HPE/Aruba 2920 Switch Compatibility
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 06, 2019 07:36 PM

Thanks to both of you for your answers.  Unfortunately, my requirement was that I use an Aruba 2920 switch.  I already had one module with both SFP+'s in use with 10 GB fiber transceivers.  I also had the second module installed with one SFP+ port in use by a fiber transceiver, leaving only the option to use a 10GB SFP transceiver -- which Aruba/HPE has seemingly decided to create as an supported option for this switch.

Aruba/HPE have numerous gaps in coverage for both SFP/SFP+ transceivers and switch models that end up having to be filled by use of Cisco, Juniper and other network vendors. 

In the end, I found that an unsupported by HPE/Aruba option would be to use a third party 10GbE RJ45 transceiver.  This solution has worked perfectly and is a tiny fraction of the cost of the HPE/Aruba branded transceivers - of which I would have bought and used happily enough had the option existed.

• 5.  RE: JL563A & HPE/Aruba 2920 Switch Compatibility

Posted Nov 07, 2019 01:41 AM

Hello!

Yes, to use 3rd party transceivers is an option.
    You have to keep in mind, that there is no guarantee that they will work.

ARUBAOS-SWITCH UNSUPPORTED TRANSCEIVER GUIDE V2.pdf 

But they do in most cases.
    I also use 3rd party transceiver for customers with "special" needs.
    For example, there were no original BiDi transceivers available or transceivers which offers 1 GB speed on multi modes fibers with 2 km (1.24 miles) and more - in such cases are 3rd party transceivers usefully.

(There are also 3rd party transceivers existing which are coded with aruba partnumbers, they dont need the unsupported transceiver activation - but also not supported)