Security

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Why Clearpass only supports thick provisioned disks

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  Why Clearpass only supports thick provisioned disks

Posted Feb 28, 2024 11:17 PM

Hi

were in the midst of upgrading our clearpass server, it seems the requirement for the disk is Thick Provisioning, is this still compulsary? If anyone  knows the logic behind why the disk type needs to be Thick instead of thin, would appreciate and feedback.

I can understand it if the underlying storage has limited space but what if the underlying storage has more than enough free space? cant we set the disk type to thin provisioning in that case?

TIA

• 2.  RE: Why Clearpass only supports thick provisioned disks

Posted Feb 28, 2024 11:41 PM

Not a designer, but I would suspect it is to guarantee there is no over provisioning of your disk within VM. Given the criticality of ClearPass (ie Network Access can stop altogether for everything depending on your implementation) it is imperative to prevent anything that can be prevented from stopping the system dead.

• 3.  RE: Why Clearpass only supports thick provisioned disks

Posted Feb 29, 2024 02:11 AM

I totally agree with @KeithK_LC in the analysis, I wouldn't risk to get a ClearPass crash due to a disk filled with crap from another server on the same storage system.

My lab servers are provisioned with Thin provisioned disk and works pretty good. But in earlier versions I have run into problems with thin provisioned computers when trying to perform a major version upgrade. When the secondary partition where about to be initiated the process stopped. Don't remember the version I had this issue. Haven't tested in 6.11 or 6.12.

------------------------------
    Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP Guru 2024, ACEX, ACDX #1600, ACCX #1335, ACX-Network Security, Aruba SME, ACMP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 4.  RE: Why Clearpass only supports thick provisioned disks

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 01, 2024 03:35 AM

Aruba ClearPass is a key component in the infrastructure, if it went down you probably get a prio 1 issue. When a thin provision storage becomes over provisioned the ClearPass nodes will crash. For that reason Aruba Support only support Thick Provisioned disks and it's a requirement in the deployment guide.

The 1TB thick provisioned disk is split into two partitions of 500GB, this is the primairy and secondary partition as you see also in switches. When a Major update fails we can easy swap the partitions. This is only for major upgrades and not for minor patches.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2023 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 5.  RE: Why Clearpass only supports thick provisioned disks

Posted Mar 01, 2024 07:56 AM

This post was duplicated here and here...  some other insights may be found there.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.